Windows 98 updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a fresh Win98 Se English.
I'm into gaming, ripping dvd and musicTOMP3, surfing and office.
Should I install all updates on the OS updates page of techspot or will Directx8.1b and IE6 SP1 be enough?

This will help make sure that you are up to date with all the software needed and security patches, etc. If you have the connection or the time to do it, I would suggest getting them all. At least the ones that are important, there are some for CD burners, certain programs, etc., that if you don't use you probably don't need.

Updating everything will also most likely help your machine run the smoothest with all the new things that have come out since then.

If possible I try to install every update and patch for everything.

Its good to keep system backups in that case, because its possible sometimes for even just 1 new .dll file to screw your system.

But new patches, updates and software versions tend more to get rid of old bugs, fix problems, add new functionality, etc. So its best to get as many of these things as possible.

I would agree, installing all of the updates for 98SE would be a good idea, especially any security related ones.

Now if only XP SP1 would not break my DivX encoder then my system would be more secure ;)

Originally posted by DragonZeal
Why is that so?
Because they fix various problems with the OS or certain components. Installed in that order will eliminate the chance of accidentally having an older patch over-write a newer one or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back