windows 98 wont load

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabenfox

ok, i went over to my brothers house and his computer was not working. He was getting windows protection errors. I tried safe mode and that wouldn't work either, so i formated his computer. I then used a win98 bootup disk and fdisked and formatted his computer. However i can not get windows to load

I tried running setup.exe off the cd and i copied all the files to the
hard drive and ran it off there as well. When i load setup it runs
scandisk on the C: drive and says everything is fine. So i exit out of that, and it says initializing registry, then copying files needed for windows setup

about two seconds after it says copying files needed for windows setup it returns right back to the directory (ie: C:\Win98se)
there are no errors or anything, and frankly i'm baffeled. The only
thing i can think of is maybe one of the ram sticks have gone bad.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stats

Athlon 1.4
192 megs of pc133/100 (can't remember)
64 meg geforce 2

Those are the only things i can remember, sorry but i don't have more info but it's not my cmoputer

It is a while since I last messed with W98.
Try to partition that HD and copy the install-files to the second/third or whatever partition.
Clean up the C-drive.
Start from the W98 boot-floppy, with CD-support.
Choose to go to the partition with the W98-data and setup from there, or go straight to the CD and install from there.
W98 CDs are not normally self-booting.

"It is a while since I last messed with W98.
Try to partition that HD and copy the install-files to the second/third or whatever partition.
Clean up the C-drive.
Start from the W98 boot-floppy, with CD-support.
Choose to go to the partition with the W98-data and setup from there, or go straight to the CD and install from there.
W98 CDs are not normally self-booting."

I already partitioned the hd and i copied all the files to the C drive. I also already went straight to the cd and installed from there, and it did the same error.

Just a couple questions......

How large is the drive (is there enought room after the partitioning has been done)?

Is this the original installation cd or a copy and if a copy (backup) is it good? There's a potential for a bad or missing file.

it's a good cd, and i've tried two different cd's. Teh hard drive is
9.5 gigabytes large, and there is only one partition, the C: drive

Windows protection errors are generally caused by "bad" driver installations and/or registry corruption. A corrupt registry may be caused by faulty memory (likely) or bad hard drive (not as likely).

If you are using the same drivers each time you install Windows, this could be the problem.

Also, run a FULL memory test:
www.memtest86.org

Be warned, it may take several hours.

the ram issue had crossed my mind, i would have thought the hard drive, but it copies files on the hard drive just find, so it's not an issue with reading/writing on the hard drive.And the fact of trying o install off the cd-rom

I had two different windows98 cds.
I'll try swapping out the ram and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back