Windows 98SE Halting Headache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please could someone help me out with this problem before i lose my sanity?

We just bought this second hand PC:

Athlon 1900, 1024 DDR, 7500 ATI Video Card with a DVD Rom & DVD Burner.

Basically, we stripped it down to basics and Installed Windows 98SE in place of XP which was on the system (as we don't like XP much)

So, initially i had to repartition the two H/D's to make them FAT32 instead of NTFS. That seemed to work out okay once i knew what i was doing.

Secondly, i formatted the drives, them moved onto installing 98SE, continuing to build the system up (graphics/CD drivers etc.)

Now, the whole reason we bought this second PC was to build a home network. I installed the Blitz 802.11g Wireless Router, which works fine after a little help from technical support regarding IP/tweaking issues.

But, now that most basic setup applications are installed, the system seems to either freeze/lock up, or the monitor goes into an energy saver like response every 5 minutes or so, which gives me no option, but to go for the power button. I can't see any pattern, as it happens whether i'm on the internet, or working within windows itself. The only pattern i see, is the fact it locks up almost every 5 minutes or so after entering windows on boot up.

Feel free to ask me any further technical info on our system, which may shed more light on things for you. Any help would be Very, Very welcomed!!
Thanks.

Welcome to TechSpot

Have a look in your BIOS, press Del or F1 or F10 at startup to get into it.
Most likely there are some Power-saving settings that put your PC to sleep after a short while. Turn these off and your problem should be gone.

Hi Bud!

Thanks for the feedback regarding my Windows problem. The option you came up with was a step in the right direction, but unfortunately oesn't completely fix my problem.

I can tell you however, the PC works fine as far as i can tell, when i pull the Blitz USB Adaptor out of th PC & restart, so i am guessing it is some kind of conflict with the router setup, or a hardware problem when the router is attached. We can get the wireless connection working with the router, but as before, it always seems to lock up/freeze or go into the monitor power saving mode after the first 5 mins or so?

So, i am just as confused as before, the only plus being, that the PC works fine without the USB adaptor plugged in the back.

I just don't know where to start with fixing the problem, as even although the PC "appears" to work fine without the Blitz USB adaptor plugged in, i still think in the back of my mind, there could still be somekind of hardward fault that only trips up when the router adaptor is connected?

Any further help would be most appreciated!

Surf to http://www.sourcequest.com/ and D/L install their USB-Source test-program.
It will tell you all about your USB-snags.

Also, rightclick anywhere on the desktop, select Properties/Screensaver tab/Power button. See if there are any powersettings in effect there, that you can stop.

Thankyou 'realblackstuff' & 'Mictlantecuhtli'

Checked the power settings thouroughly, but i'm affraid there is nothing a miss there.

The link you suggested for the USB test program says it only supports 2000 & XP, unfortunately i am running Windows 98SE.

I will check the IRQ settings for USB in the BIOS and report back any irregularities.

Thanks again guys, i really appreciate your feedback.

It's just nice for me to be able to run the PC without any problems when i remove the Blitz USB wireless adaptor for now, although i still don't know if it's a hardware problem that is present all the time, and just trips up when that adaptor in plugged into the USB port.

Again, Many thanks for your suggestions so far.
Siv' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back