Windows 98se problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

takaboku

After a 2yr sleep, I powered up my old computer running 98SE. Upon booting, it scans the disk, gets to 22%, beeps 3 times then shuts down. I press enter and it finishes the boot-up with no further problems. Also, btw how do you access the autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini and system.ini files ? Thanks.

Hmm... beeping three times... though it sounds like it's crashing in the middle of a ScanDisk routine, that sounds like your BIOS giving you a message. Here's a helpful link with different beep codes: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

You'll just need to find which type of BIOS you have (AMI, Award, etc.) and look it up on their list.

Alternatively, it's possible your hard drive may be on its way out. Since my first "modern" computer (e.g. post-386) back in '95, I've had more hard drives die on me than anything else. That could account for any unexplained file corruption, sudden Windows screw-ups, etc. The tell-tale sign for that is if you notice your hard drive making any unusual sounds, such as a clicking noise, or if it seems to take much longer than usual to load things that normally should take a couple seconds.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back