TechSpot

Windows Admin Password & SP2 install prob

By SilenceOfComp
Jan 28, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, so here's the deal, I was trying to install Windows SP2 from a CD, well It was the files pulled off the CD and put it on a flash drive cause the CD-Rom on the in question PC doesnt work.

Anyway, during the installation of it I got write errors, delayed write errors. Thats not my problem though after I got several errors in a row I canceled the installation, so I let the program terminate itself, it went through and reloaded everything back to normal and at the end it said that window might not work properly anymore.

I was like what ever because I have seen that a million times. I restarted the PC and I got to the Win XP boot screen for about 10 secs then I cuts to a Blue screen with an error message:
    "STOP: c0000135 {Unable To Locate Component}
    This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

So I am now forced to go buy a CD-Rom and Repair windows with the boot disc but to my dismay I am greeted with a admin password prompt and the owner of the PC has no idea what it could be, and claims to have never set one, I already tried to just hit enter and it doesn't seem to wanna take, any suggestions anyone?

2. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,051

3. SilenceOfComp

SilenceOfComp TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Ok, tried to remove SP2 and it could not find the file or directory specified. I think Im just screwed.

4. SilenceOfComp

Reading into the HERE

5. SilenceOfComp

Thanks for the info but I cannot get anything to work, copied a new winsrv.dll file into it and got the same error after it thought for about 30secs instead. I really appreciate the help.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

try booting SAFE MODE and login via Admin there -- likely not to have a password (yet).

7. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,051

the link was to re-install not to remove 'winsrv'

8. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.