Windows - Blue Screen Error Message (UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

merfman

When restarting my computer everytime I get the following message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F7DC30, 0XC0000015, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I haven't installed any new software/hardware on this computer as I rarely use it anymore. I need someone to give me a walkthrough as to how to fix this problem as Im not the greatest person with computers.
Also when i try to restart in safe mood the screen shows up the same.

I just need this to be fixed for a few minutes at the least to be able to copy the last files off the system

Thanks for any help
merfman

Tell us a great deal of detail on the computer brand, model, configuration, and age...
It could be a hard drive failure, or many other failures... so you might want to go back to the most fundamental, basic install... one hard drive, one memory module, one CD to start or boot... then make small adjustments and tweeks, keeping good notes as you go.... in an attempt to boil down the problem to one item... CPU Thermal past, CPU out of balance or a bent pin, bad hard drive, bad memory module, bad cooling fan.... etc.

Tell us a great deal of detail on the computer brand, model, configuration, and age...
It could be a hard drive failure, or many other failures... so you might want to go back to the most fundamental, basic install... one hard drive, one memory module, one CD to start or boot... then make small adjustments and tweeks, keeping good notes as you go.... in an attempt to boil down the problem to one item... CPU Thermal past, CPU out of balance or a bent pin, bad hard drive, bad memory module, bad cooling fan.... etc.

Raybay

CPU : Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop (5-6 Years Old)
Motherboard : ??? - Where Can I find out, as my computer wont get passed the windows startup
Ram Speed : 512MB, 533MHz
GPU : ??? - Same as Motherboard
PSU : 19.5V Dell Power Adapter

Bios Version - A02 (03/01/2006) - Where can I update this? and how?

History - The computer has worked fine up until the last few weeks, i began to remove old programs (photoshop,games, and others that I have downloaded) as I don't use this computer anymore. Then After the automatic updates from Windows (when you turn off computer) I tried to re-start the computer and now I get the Blue Error Message (as in the original post)

Also I haven't installed any new software/hardware for quite some time.

Thank-you for any help, I hope this helps you try to come up with something
merfman

take a look here and here

I read through both the links you gave me, but now every time i try to turn my laptop on it gets to the Windows loading screen then i get the blue error message.

I've tried a bunch of times to load in Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration and it doesn't get past there. The error keeps coming up so I am unable to try and fix anything using my desktop. (I cant get to the dumpfiles on my computer to attach them)

Please do you or anyone else have any clue how to fix this?
thanks
merfman

Well, at minimum, here's something to help you get to your files/folders. (you should also be able to get to a couple of those dump files as well)

See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back