Windows Blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickp2

I have randomly been getting a blue screen of death. Normally the computer reboots before I can see the problem but this last time it just stayed on the blue screen. I have seen numerous posts on differant sites but none match my error exactly. herr goes:

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal
Stop: 0x000000D1(0x00000020,0x00000002,0x00000001,0xB468B2FF)
afd.sys -address B468B2FF base at B4680000, Datestamp 48a40333

Can anyone decipher this and tell me what I need to do to fix it.

That error is an 0xD1 and it is very common. Basically it is usually caused by a faulty driver. Right now we don't have enough information to determine which driver or drivers are the culprit. You could attach your minidumps so that they can be read.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I hope these are what you are looking for. I assummed it was a driver but I have replaced or with new or reinstalled all that I could think of.

How do I zip more than 1 file at a time, it only allows me to select one file at a time when I use the attach files link. I only have about 44 files totaling 4.5 megs

You have one error code that I have never seen before and it is 0x000000A7: BAD_EXHANDLE and it means that the kernel-mode handle table detected an inconsistent handle table entry state. There is virtually zero on the internet concerning this error and even Microsoft gives no more than what I wrote here. However, I did find this additional information: "is caused by a corrupt registry entry that should be repaired immediately to prevent further corruption in other applications and/or hardware. Risks include hardware failure, blue screen errors and fatal crashes." That is a tad melodramatic and read further for a suggested next step.

Two errors are 0xD1 and these are predominantly caused by faulty drivers though faulty or mismatched RAM can also be a cause. One did not give anything dfinitive, but the other specifically cited the Symantec/Norton driver Symtdi.sys as the probable cause. We've seen many problems here concerning this driver and Symantec as a whole.

However, the last two dumps are what is most telling at this point. Both are 0x8E errors and these are almost always caused by hardware and are a strong indicator of corrupted memory. One dump was not specific but one cited hardware as the cause.

My first besty advice for you is to run Memtest on your RAM. See this link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Come to think about it, this problem started when I installed Norton Internet Security 2009. I ran the memtest on both sticks and got to 93% of test 5 on pass 1 and got 86 errors. I then removed one stick and ran the test again and got to the same point, I then switched sticks and got the same results. What are the odds that both sticks are bad at the same point in the test. I will have to look I am running a matched 2 gig set of Corsair XMS2, I guess they have a life time warrenty, will have to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back