windows boot problem after MB upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I had a stable Windows XP SP2 system running on an old MB with AGP video.

I swapped MB to a Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 with onboard VGA. Although it has a PCIe slot, I didn't add a video card at this time.

When windows boots (I tried this in safe mode as well), the computer reboots, always at the same spot. In safe mode, the last driver Windows is trying to load is agp440.sys, hangs for 2 seconds, and then the PC reboots. I can't re-install the old MB - it had problems. I've tried VGA boot, safe mode with command prompt, load last known good configuration, all with the same problem.

I had the Gigabyte MB working on another system for 6 months, so I know it's good.

Short of a full re-install (I have several old apps on there I can't find install disk for anymore I don't want to lose), any suggestions?

Thanks,

Zot

I suspect you know you cannot just load an existing XP onto a different motherboard and expect it to work. OK, sometimes it will, but.....

You have a problem that the existing installation expects all sorts of things associated with the original motherboard, including the AGP video card. So being unable to use a no-longer-existing video card will not be your only problem.

In general, a re-installation of windows is called for in your situation, and depending upon where you sourced Windows XP in the first place, you may also need to get microsoft to issue a new activation code.

The following link tells you what you need to know about an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of XP, which hopefully will give you a working system without losing any data or programs already installed, and enable you to install the correct drivers for the motherboard and it's built in video, network, sound etc, etc

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

also check this

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

yes it is.... you need reinstall xp .... have you got a retail version or an oem because if youve got an oem you arnt ment install that using a different mb

Thanks. As it turns out - the MB has a problem. Even trying to boot the Windows install disk (retail, not OEM) blue screens after the drivers load and it tries to start windows. I must have damaged the board when removing from one case and installing in the other. Even the HD that used to boot in the original system this came from won't boot up -same problem. SO - I knew that booting an existing XP install on a different MB was 50-50 chance - this time it looks like my HW is at fault.

THanks for the suggestions and the link though - that will come in handy in the future!

Zot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back