Windows Boot problem! stuck on boot screen help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakaroto

HI, I have a problem when I boot windows xp pro... it would start booting and then go to that screen that say windows xp professional and the status bar on the bottom that would back and forth... but it would stay there forever and the computer just idles but the bar still moves back and forth. The thing that works is if I boot it under safe mode and use last known working config, but if I reboot again after that it would go to that screen and get stuck again. I am open for suggestions that would work... besides restarting my computer from scratch.....THANKS

Have you done anything recently before this change? Perhaps installed new drivers or new software?

I have fixed this before by uninstalling the IDE drivers from Device Manager. It might be a good idea to delete a bunch of drivers in Safe Mode, then restart in normal mode and see if that works.

I would recommend booting from the XP CD and do the same thing as you would to install Windows XP. Only, it should ask you to Repair your Windows XP installation instead of delete the Windows directory. Don't be afraid.. As long as there is not an option to delete/replace your Windows directory, then it will repair your XP installation.. Keeping all of your settings etc..

However, it will appear to be installing Windows XP over again.. This is normal. I just want to make sure you understand that it will NOT repair XP if it gives you the option to repair or replace the Windows directory.. So please keep an eye out for that option.

Well the system that I am using is fairly new, I just built it a week ago...I have only installed a couple simple programs such as netscape and real player and kazaa...etc and some backup files from my old computer. However now that you mention about installing new drivers, the motherboard comes with a built in sound, and I am also using a audigy sound card at the same time I was wondering maybe the drivers for these two devices might be complicating each other. And in safe mode sound drivers are not booted right? do you think this might be the problem?

Also this has happened like 2 days after i built the system, but I just restarted from scratch again. Do you know of any viruses that may cause this problem?

You should disable the onboard sound in BIOS setup.

If you boot into safe mode, edit your boot.ini file (carefully! make a backup!), under "Operating Systems" there should be a single entry for your windows. Add " /bootlog /sos" to the end. /bootlog makes windows to write down every action taken during bootup and /sos disables the logo screen so you can see what's really going on underneath.

Hey Guys I am still having problems with booting into windows XP pro. I have disabled both sound devices and still no luck. I tried using the windows repair thing but it just brings me to a command prompt screen ? Also I tried to edit boot.ini but I can't find that so I don't know what else to do. Anymore ideas?

Boot.ini is a hidden system file in c: root directory. You must enable viewing hidden and system files. Also, if you want to edit boot.ini, you have to remove the read only attribute from the file.

The windows repair thing you chose is the recovery console, it will be not much use in this case. You must install the windows over your current installation.

ok I got the boot.ini file changed and stuff and booted... I got the screen and it say boot log enabled and the memory(ram) shows up but nothing else happens and I don't see other logs.
I also took the sound card out and the on-board is enabled it worked after like 5 reboots and then I installed the updates for windows and then rebooted and that worked but then I turned my computer off and rebooted and it gets that screen again. and the boot log shows nothing besides boot log enabled. I don't know what to do now. open for any suggestions. lol thanks

You can also use change/edit boot.ini by going to ...

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup & Recovery > Settings

Here you can use a GUI interface or manually edit the file.

It seems that there is a problem when trying to load a driver or run some piece of software during startup.

You might try looking in Administrative Tools > Event Viewer
to see if any warnings appear that might give you a clue.

I to have had similar problems before, but the cause can vary.

Alright I got the boot.ini edited but it doesn't seem to tell me anything, because I just see boot log enabled and the amount of ram I have on my computer displayed but I don't see anything else and the computer idles and nothing happens.

Also if I go to Event viewer in Safe Mode would I be able to see the warnings that would happen in a normal mode boot?

And also where should I look in event viewer: application, security or system or all of them?

thanks

The event viewer keeps a history of events along with a timestamp. You can view these at any time you wish. Its a good idea to look at all the event logs and focus on any warnings that have a timestamp indicating the same time when you last experienced the problem. I can't say whether you'll find anything useful, but you may get some clues so its worth taking a look. It has certainly helped me to isolate problems in the past. If you right-click and select properties of any error event you'll get to view the error information.

Enabling boot logging doesn't mean it will be displayed on your screen. The log is saved to \Windows\ntbtlog.txt

ok guys i did the boot log and event viewer and here are the results i don't understand them so help me out.

here are the errors i found in event viewer
in applications there are Errors from sourc VSS and Eventsystem
VSS description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.
associated with file: vssvc.exe

Eventsystem description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
associated with file: comres.dll

spec of my computer....
The specs for the computer is it's a newly built computer with Intel D845PT Socket 478 MATX Motherboard
2.0 ghz p4 chip
512 2100 ddr ram
it has a linksys ethernet card
geforce2 mx400
20gig harddrive
it also has this drive called a superdisk drive it's old but it serves as a floppy
I have a hp printer installed xp provided the driver for that
ps/2 key board and mouse

small portion of the boot log..
Service Pack 1 3 22 2003 18:29:27.500
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver ohci1394.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\1394BUS.SYS
Loaded driver intelide.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver dmload.sys
Loaded driver dmio.sys
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver Fastfat.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver NaiFsRec.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Loaded driver agp440.sys
Did not load driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Did not load driver Processor
Did not load driver Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
Did not load driver NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver Printer Port

Does the time of the error event correspond with when you experienced the problem?

The file vssvc.exe is a windows service file 'Volume Shadow Copy'.

MS Backup - A volume shadow copy is a picture of the volume at a particular moment in time. That means a computer can be backed up while files are open and applications running.

Try going to ...
Administrative Tools > Services > 'Volume Shadow Copy' service. Right-Click Properties and change the Startup Type to 'manual' (to disable on reboot). Reboot, and see if things improve.

I don't know if you noticed, but your drivers quit loading right after Did not load driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Perhaps you should try disabling or enabling ACPI in your BIOS. Also, turning on/off Plug N Play OS in your BIOS may do something.

I will try the volume copy thing and turn it to manual.

But for the log I think that's the log for my safe mode boot cuz in safe mode you can see the stuff that it loads.. but I could be wrong and those are the things that it's not booting and causing problems, but i will try that out

I think this portion of bootlog is about the safe mode boot, "did not load" would suggest that windows just didn't bother, not that there were errors.

There is a date and time before every section in bootlog that says the windows version (e.g. "service pack 1"), date and time when the log was created.

yeah I think it is the safe mode boot log because I check the times of the boot and it doesn't seems to make a boot log of my bad normal boots cuz I only see one date on the log after a bad boot and a safe mode good boot.

In this case you should try fiddling with the BIOS settings.

Do you have your motherboard drivers installed?

no I don't have the motherboard drivers installed and I can't install it in safe mode....but the problem is fixed cuz I got fed up with this problem and installed another xp on top of my current one and that seems to fix the problem. but if happens again I won't know what the problem is... and you can bet that I will be posting here again lol
Thanks a lot you guys... you all have been a great help...

F8 on boot too XP

hi,

im assuming you cant get into windows here: :(

press f8 on boot and goto "last known good config" and you can get back in and fix it if not try a boot floppy or cd and use recovory console

if you can get in then: :giddy:
-find the manu facture
-download latest drivers
-uninstall old
-restart
-install new
-restart

if im wrong or it does not work then ill try and help more

j4m32,

first distonnect from internet.
do you have any anti-virus or zone-alarm running on your pc?
what's all the software you're running on your machine?
can you post them all? specially anti-virus
also use msconfig to find out what's in the "startup".

I got the same problem workds great when i reinstall windows and install all the drivers but when i install a program i cannot restart it is stuck on the loading screen this is getin very annoyin help will be appericated. none of the above suggestions worked so far...

Well is it a particular piece of software you install that does this or any?

i hate software that asks me to restart, i usualy go against advice to restart and keep going. but i can't really help much on this one i can't put a definite finger on it.

closest thing i can think of is a Registry Setting or OS File has been modified by an install for an older OS possibly?

poor tech-support by me here, i am one of those people that it only works when it's in my hands :S which don't help at all in this case...

Jim,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back