TechSpot

Windows boots slowly after installing HDD

By pabvr81
Feb 3, 2007
  1. I have a new system, recently installed and old 120GB IDE hdd, now Windows XP takes forever to boot up, the drive its set up as slave. The IDE cable is shared with a DVD+-RW drive. I have another 250GB SATA drive, in wich the o/s is installed. I need to make this system boot up at a decent speed. Can you help me please?

EDIT: When I disconnect the IDE drive, the system boots up normally. The drive has some music and files in it, no o/s.

PC specs:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    2GB DDR2
    DVD+-RW Drive
    Asus Nforce4 motherboard
    Windows XP SP2

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

I wouldtry seperating the HDD off of the IDE channel with the ROM drive.It is not a good idea to put them on the same channel.
    I would make the HDD the Master on the Primary CH and the Rom the Master on the Secndary.
    See if that helps

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,683   +86

I wouldn't mix IDE HDD with SATA HDD in the system You could take that 120GB and put it in external case making it a USB2 drive. That way you don't have about slowness problem

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Optical drives don't play nice as master to slaved hard drives...

I recommend switching the other at the very least (Hard drive = Master, Optical drive = Slave) or putting them each on their own cable (recommended). You may also want to slave the 120GB to your new, master drive... Just a matter of preference.

tipstir's advice of an external USB enclosure is a great idea and that's definitely the way to go anymore. But I do have to say there's no problem with 'mixing' IDE and SATA drives.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.