windows cannot access the specified device.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am receiving this error (windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item)with all programs files and cannot access system tools.

I am running xp home edition. My free AVG detected a virus but wouldn't heal, delete or move it.
Plus I can't recall that I ever set the administrator password, I usually left it blank.
I also recall that the virus detected by avg said it was a .dll in the core system. I shut avg down after it wouldn't heal, move or delete the virus, and of course now I can't access avg either.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?

Ouch looks like you have been hit hard!

Try turning system restore off. Then boot into safe mode, from there try to re launch avg to see what the virus is called and where it is located.

it seems like this is more than a bit of Malware or Spywear, and that it is a biggie. Personally I use Zone alarm and I find that it catches more than avg, but first try the safe mode boot.

Have a go at the instructions linked, and if possible do them while booting into safe mode as Sjbrand99 mentioned, so the malware isn't automatically loaded up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back