TechSpot

Windows Cannot Update

By Spottyfriend
Jun 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I wasn't sure which section to create this thread under, but its a windows error so I thought this the best place to start.

For sometime now, every time I shutdown my computer it has attempted to install 4 updates, and every time, it has failed. This wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience, only it does lengthen the otherwise extremely speedy shutdown time of my Windows 7 running computer.

I have also had continued balloons telling me 'new updates available' and when I attempt to install them without simply shutting down, it gives me the error code 80070002.

I have tried everything suggested by Microsoft here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7 but to no avail, so I come to you, if you can help me.

2. dansharp2014

dansharp2014 TS Rookie

For me I first went to 1. administrative tools ->services and disabled windows update service. 2. Go to c:\windows\software distribution 3. I deleted everything in this folder. 4. go back to administrative tools-> services -> windows update and re-inable the service.

3. riyan harris

riyan harris TS Rookie

Once I also faced the same problem and I observed that my windows 7 CD had been corrupted after that I installed a genuine windows 7 CD for my laptop.

4. Spottyfriend

Spottyfriend TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 69

I'm afraid this had no effect, the error still shows.

5. Spottyfriend

Spottyfriend TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 69

Would this wipe my hard drive and force me to reinstall all my programs? If so is there a better way?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.