Windows default beep problem

Rifero

[FONT=verdana]Hello,[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]since the last few days I encountered a problem with the system beep in Windows 7 x64.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Whenever I try to call the default beep, I hear nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]But when I adjust the volume via volume control, I do hear the beep.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I have a program that calls the default beep as an alert.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]This used to work before, but after I installed Minimem and Razer Gamebooster,[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]the beep has stopped working. After I un-installed those tools, did a reboot, the problem was still there.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I can manually call the system beep via volume control, but not via other programs anymore.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Also Ctrl+G in command line does not work (I hear nothing).[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I bet it's just a simple solution, but I have no idea how to fix this.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Can anyone help me?[/FONT]

Open control panel, select option 'sounds' and reset the 'sound scheme' to Windows default.
Alternatively right-click desktop, select personalization then option button sounds gets to the same screen.

Reset the sound scheme as gbhall suggested. Then scroll through the Program Event sounds also on that tab. Is there a .wav file associated with the Default Beep?

Clip0004.jpg Windows default beep sound is DING.VAV a search for that comes up with the above. Hope this helps, but I cant see how it will.

Yes, there is a default beep set, otherwise it wouldn't be working when I call it manually.
It is working when I adjust the volume via volume control, I hear the beep when I release the slider.

Recently I found out that the beep will start working for a while, a few minutes or so,
after I call the sticky keys window 2 times, by pressing Shift 5 times.
When I do that, the sticky keys window pops up, but the first time I hear nothing.
The second time I call that window, for some strange reason that causes the beep to be "activated" again and working whenever it's called via other programs.
However, after a few minutes it will stop working again.
I don't see the connection between the sticky keys and the default beep, though.

What I understand of your story is you had some software that linked into Windows sound system that worked ok. Then installed other things which broke that link, and which did not restore it when uninstalled. In theory then, reinstalling the first software should re-make the link.

If it does not, then the whole of Windows sound system is broken and needs to be repaired. I doubt there is a simple way - or even any way - to do that, but you could try reinstalling the sound driver. You probably know if it is on the motherboard, video card or separate sound card.

Failing that, more drastic would be to run SFC (system file checker), but experience suggests that replaces corrupt or missing windows files, but does not re-register things that should be registered. So it is hit or miss, mostly miss.

Reinstalling the first program did not solve the issue. I will update my sound driver later today.
On my manufacture site, Toshiba, there are 2 sound drivers, ATI and Realtek.
Not sure which one to pick, or are either one good?

I also used system recover using the original Windows 7 disk, with the upgrade option, which replaced all system files, but that didn't help either.

By SFC, do you mean chkdsk? If so, I already done that with both options enabled.
If not, what is SFC? I could give that a try along with the sound driver update.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite C670D laptop with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

SFC is Systems File Checker. Start a command prompt in Adminstration mode, then key in SFC /verifyonly if any problems are reported, you can run it again SFC /scannow

Hint - if you don't understand an abbreviation, google it, then you may not do the wrong thing. As it is, I am not sure what you have done by using the win 7 install Cd to run a systems recovery. You may have set the PC back to factory condition and will have to perform all MS updates all over again.

As for replacing your sound driver, you dont know what the hardware is ? You surprise me. Start control panel option sounds and what does it say the hardware is? Doesn't the Toshiba site offer you the correct driver when you enter your model serial number?

I went to the site, entered just C670D and was offered a single setup.exe of 2.7Mb which is probably the motherboard driver set complete, including the sound which would therefore be a motherboard chip. You don't need to know who made the chip.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I had some RL issues.
Maybe system recovery wasn't the correct term to use.
I did what was described in this thread: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
But that didn't fix it.

SFC /verifyonly said there were no problems.

Also, I made a screenshot of the Toshiba site offering 2 different drivers.
2e4vt47.jpg

As you can see, I filled in all correct information about my system, but it showed 2 drivers.
I went with the Realtek but the problem still persists.

I have very little more to offer. My own PC - a desktop - I find also has two sound drivers Realtek and Nvidia. I assume the Nvidia one is on the video card (Nvidia) and drives the built-in video sound on the monitor, and the realtek bit is on the motherboard, and drives any external speakers, surround sound or whatever, although to be honest nothing about realtek shows up in the system description nor in sisoft sandra, so I am stumped there.

Since it would seem likely in your case also that both drivers are used under one circumstance or another. I recommend you install both. I doubt if you have followed my advice to open 'control panel' and start the 'sounds' option. There is so much detail in there.........for instance, you can set the sound to mute when certain communications occur........

If still no solution, I imagine it might be possible that your[FONT=verdana] "program that calls the default beep as an alert" [/FONT]can be persuaded to use any old wav file you like that you can copy anywhere you like and point the program to it[FONT=verdana].[/FONT]

There again, some problems just have no solution short of OS reinstall, or debug of the offending software.

Back