Windows Defender offline scan

learninmypc

WD OFFLINE.JPG How does one do an offline scan? I tried it once but nothing happened.
I just now tried this Head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender. Scroll down and click the “Scan Offline” button under Windows Defender Offline. After you click this button, your computer will automatically reboot and begin scanning your PC for malware. The scan may take up to fifteen minutes.Aug 9, 2016

But got to Scroll down & click the "Scan Offline" but its not there.

I was doing a full scan & when it finished I saw the scan off line button & it said it would take about 20 minutes to do so I clicked the button & that was 30 minutes ago. It's supposed to restart my pc .
Am sitting here waiting to see if it restarts my pic.

90 some minutes later it never restarted by its self so I either mis understood what it said to do or ???
May re try later.

At 11:50 am I tried it again, here it is 2:55pm & it's still not booted back up. I guess I'll forget about it, thank you

Ok, according to what I've googled, I did click the scan offline button & it said restarting but it shut down. After the hour I waited when it said 20 minutes, I got pi$$ed & restarted it up. Sometime later I knew I had to run some errands & could run it a few hourd. NOPE. It was still off so I booted it back up. I tried to find out how to check when last scanned but couldn;t.
As far as malware goes, I've run Mbam, edet online scanner, SAS, Sophos & probably others my tired brain don't remember.
Is it possible to uninstall it & reinstall it? I thought it was built in.
I will see if WD can be uninstalled.

I think that the offline runs after you restart.... http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-perform-an-offline-scan-with-windows-defender/

Could be that the machine has a really bad malware...try BitDefender Rescue (separate bootable ISO).

If nothing, then uninstall and remove Windows Defender and download fresh and re-install.

Or maybe it is in one of those funny fugue states which Windows has when it stumbles during an upgrade.
After reading this http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_defender_uninstaller.html I'm leaving WD as is.

Back