Windows defender with norton int security

By bazofstour
Oct 31, 2009
  1. When using Norton internet security or mcafee security center,is it advisable to turn windows defender/firewall off? do they work in unison or does windows defender just slow everything down because incoming data is being checked twice?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I'd say it would be the other way around:
    Both Norton IS and McAfee IS slow down systems (and tend to be a bit excessive at the best of times)

Windows Defender detects and removes spyware, its not an Antivirus software
    But, MS do make a free Antivirus software and that's Microsoft Security Essentials, many say it works really well

I personally don't like any of the above mentioned (especially those Internet Security packages you mentioned) :suspiciou
    My recommendation is (and has been for a couple of years now) Free Avira Antivirus (obviously of which I use)
    And for spyware (well Malware) I highly recommend Free Malwarebytes

But to officially answer your question. Yes you can have Defender and one of those Internet Security packages working together :rolleyes: (except I wouldn't :))
  3. bazofstour

bazofstour TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the info. At the moment I am stuck with mcafee IS as I have paid the sub recently.What I wanted to know is, do I need to run windows defender at the same time as the Mcafee or does Mcafee IS detect spy ware?Will my computer run faster on the internet with defender disabled,but still have the same protection?
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Well Windows Defender offers added protection
    But I believe that its overkill, whilst running an Internet Security package (although they can both run together without issue)
    I would uninstall/disable Windows Defender (anyway, I prefer free Malwarebytes Antimalware protection :))
  5. bazofstour

bazofstour TS Rookie Topic Starter

Many thanks for your recommendation! Will follow your advise.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.