Windows desktop doesn`t show. No icons or taskbar etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son gave me his Presario 700 laptop. Yesterday I turned it on and all it would do is go to the wallpaper and then nothing. I do not get any icons or start button. I was able to get on line by going to the ctrl,alt,del and getting the task window and doing a search.

I can not find the restore disk and my son is in Irag, so I can not ask him where it is. My question is, is there a way to restore by using the task window to find the file?

Thanks,
Armymom

Is this Windows XP? I guess what you could do is search for rstrui.exe, it's the system restore utility, and try that out. You can find it in C:\Windows\system32\Restore (at least on my computer.)

If it's XP start the computer and press F8 at the list of chioces choose Last Known Good Configuration (or something like that) and press enter.

Thanks guys, I tried both of your suggestions, but neither worked. Any more ideas, short of buying a new computer.

well, I had this problem once, and sometimes it relieves itself when you try to open windows explorer by right clicking a file folder and click explore because this jump starts explorer.exe....well, sometimes, it worked for me. if that doesn't work try chkdsk it might be a corrupt system file that's causing all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back