TechSpot

windows did not start succesfully

By kitie16
Mar 24, 2007
  1. Whenever I attempt startup, I receive this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

~~~
    I am unsure whether it froze before to cause the screen, though it is a possibility.
    However my results from selecting any of the options results in freezing, where the countdown stops at its current value, and keyboard becomes non-responsive. If I allow the countdown to reach 0, it will freeze then instead.
    PLEASE help!!!!
    nuthin working....
    thanks...!

2. chamillitarysk8

chamillitarysk8 TS Booster Posts: 128

reinstall window in a different folder get your files of the drive delete the partition and install windows and put your files back on

3. TonyL9119

TonyL9119 TS Rookie

Do you have a Windows CD?

You may want to try to repair your current installation of windows before you go through the hassle of reinstalling the OS along with the programs you use.

Try to boot from the Windows CD and Select R to repair the installation.

Once the System Recovery Console is loaded, it may ask you for the Partition the Windows Installation is located. (Usually "1" is the default choice.) After you made your selection, it may ask you for the Administrative Password. It is usually blank; unless if you have changed it previously.

After that, you shoud see a command prompt. Type what i have in the quotes and press enter, "chkdsk /r"

This scan will scan your hard drive for errors. This may more may not correct your computer problem. It's worth a shot if you don't feel like reinstalling the OS.

4. leadhead

leadhead TS Rookie

That sounds hardwareish to me. If you can download and install this http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/onto a computer that can burn cds it may help. It will create a windows pe ram OS. You will also need a windows disk because the pe builder will need a path to an i386 folder to copy files from.

Once you have made the disk, see if you can use this disk and boot from it on your bad computer. If so, open a cmd window and run a chkdsk /r.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.