Windows does not start - Installed a DVD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisbudsforyou

For christmas i got a DVD burner and when i went to install it i had to take out my old cd rw. So this leaves me with a DVD rom and my hard drive.
I've tried every single way to get this thing in but i cant get the computer to boot up correctly. I have followed all the "situations" in the plextor manual which included swapping jumpers, messing with different configuations with the IDE cables and i still get this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

when i go to safe mode it boots correctly and works but when i try to use the last known configuration it just reboots and gives me the same error message. Im down to my wits end with this thing and any help would be great. Thanks

what jumper configuration are you using? plextors like to be set as master which means yuor DVD rom should be set to slave if they are on the same IDE ribbon.

it sounds to me that you have the MS"s antipiravy thingy going on. MS will check to see if the system has been serious upgraded (it's their way of thinking that windows is installed on a different machine). You could try to call MS to see if you can get a way around it. Alternatively, try to reinstall windows. Since you can boot into safe mode, i would suggest go into safe mode and backup the important files then reinstall windows.

My IDE cables are set to at

Primary IDE - Harddrive
Secondary IDE - Plextor as master & DVD ROM as slave

These are set up right? and it cant be a power issue because it boots up in safe mode and see's both of these drives.

I just dont understand what the problem could be. Anymore help? If the windows piracy thing is the problem even if i were to call them how could they direct me around that. If thats not the problem does anyone know what is?

My IDE cables are set to at

Primary IDE - Harddrive
Secondary IDE - Plextor as master & DVD ROM as slave

Those should be fine.

Since it was installing the plextor that started the problem have you tried disconnecting the plex and booting? ( disconnect the power and the IDe ribbon.

if you can sucessfully boot normally then you can shut down and reconnect the plex and see if you have the same problem. if you do then I would say you have a defective drive.

Nah i forgot to mention that. I completely took it out and set the DVD rom back as master on its own secondary IDE cable and still no dice i get the same message.

im clean out of ideas.. anyone?

I would try entering the bios and setting it to fail safe defaults or default and reboot and see if I can get into windows.

did you set the jumper to master and slave? (not just the cable but the jumper as well).

What happen if you don't connect the dvd drive? can you boot to windows successfully? If you can't then something wrong with your windows, so reinstallation is probably the best choice.

since you can boot to safe mode, i think there is still hope. Have you tried restore? If that fails, the windows xp disc has a repair feature which pretty much reinstalls windows without formatting the drive. (after you agree to the liscense agreement, do that repair)

ok, i decided to go with the clean slate option. I put the DVD rom drive back in along with my DVD burner when i put in the windows disc to wipe the harddrive it wont read and it gives me this error message PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Im not sure how to boot off the cd to make it work right please help

to boot off CD, you would have to change the boot order under bios. Go into bios and in the boot order, choose CDrom as your first choice (normally it's either HD or the floppy drive). Then save and exit. When computer starts, put the cd in there, and windows installation CD should boot and says something like if you want to boot from CD, press any key, so just press any key and you should be able to boot form CD.

personally I think your plextor drive is defective I know several people who have had to RMA their plextor drives 2 or three tiumes before they got one that workied correctly. And I am not dissing Plextor I own three plextor drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back