Windows does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

akarimov

I formatted my computer, and install a legal and clean copy of the windows xp. I have installed the same cd on the same computer before and it worked perfectly.

Here is what happens. I turn on the computer, and then Windows starts loading. Its the screen where the bar is loading. Suddenly, the screen goes black and that's it. Nothing is happening, but computer is still running.

I tried to start the windows in safe mode, and it worked, but normal start does not work. It is a clean copy of windows, i know that for sure.

What could be the problem??
Thanks

its a
1.7ghz processor
1.26 gig of (dont remember the exact number)
40gig of harddrive

I had this computer for over ten years now, and it worked perfectly; never gave me trouble; i reformatted it and installed a fresh copy of windows once in a while; and it worked ok, but now ....

10 years... on-board video? Is the hard drive original? Memory original? It may be time to upgrade the computer with a new power supply, motherboard, CPU and memory. Are there any puffy or exploded capacitors on the motherboard near the CPU?

10 years... on-board video? Is the hard drive original? Memory original? It may be time to upgrade the computer with a new power supply, motherboard, CPU and memory. Are there any puffy or exploded capacitors on the motherboard near the CPU?

just before i formatted it. i was backing up all the data from it. and it worked perfectly, gave no problems at all. i stopped using this computer maybe 2-3 months ago, and it was working without glitches. the equipment is outdated, but it is still in great shape. I opened it, nothing looks out of place

Capacitors are little metal cans around the CPU socket. The CPU heat sink might be hiding the "puffy" caps. An untrained eye might not see "anything out of place"... I am positive something has died in it, or you wouldn't have posted here. Some easy things to rule out are hard drive and memory. At 10 years anything can be bad, including CD or DVD drives

@tmagic650

In their first post
<snip>
I tried to start the windows in safe mode, and it worked, but normal start does not work. It is a clean copy of windows, i know that for sure.
They can boot into safe mode but not normal mode. Would that still likely indicate hardware issue? (Or maybe just software issue? Maybe try a repair install?)

Yeah LookinAround,
I missed that... driver issue? akarimov has installed Windows successfully many times. Bad PCI modem or network card?

@Tmagic650

I know. Is easy to skim through posts and miss some detail. Done so many times myself!

@akarimov
Try starting in normal mode but using the base video drivers
Start->Run, enter msconfig
Click Boot.ini tab, check Basevideo box, click OK then Restart

I can't imagine a 10 year old computer not having some sort of hardware failure here. What about CPU thermal paste drying out and turning into cement? Or an original CMOS battery still working correctly

I can't imagine a 10 year old computer not having some sort of hardware failure here. What about CPU thermal paste drying out and turning into cement? Or an original CMOS battery still working correctly

I hear ya.. but if it consistently boots into safe mode (but not normal mode) then i'm not sure. Tho it might just be the video card... which needs to do more "stuff" with the normal driver running. So maybe just "base video" running or maybe with the video driver uninstalled might make the difference (to test it more like during a safe mode startup)?? dunno... just guesses here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back