Windows doesnt detect SATA2 hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonese26

I just installed a new WD 250GB SATA2 hard drive, it detects it in the BIOS, but not in windows. This is just an additional drive, ive already got an IDE drive with everything installed on it. After doing a quick search i think i need to get new windows drivers, would this be correct?? Any help would be appreciated.

There should be a driver cd that came with your mobo, the sata2 driver should be on that. Sata and Sata2 did not exist when windows was created so it doesn't have drivers for them built in.

OK thanks, but my mobo cd only has SiS RAID drivers, no sata drivers. Is there anywhere i can download these off the net?

That may be the correct driver, if not, you will need to go to your mobo manufacturers web site.

Check your device manager. If Windows doesn't recognize your sata controller, you should have a device with a yellow exclamation point on it. If not, then your sata controller & hard drive are recognised, you probably just need to go to the disk management console, create a partition on your new hard drive & assign a letter to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back