Windows Explorer does not open correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitty500cat

Hey guys,
I'm a guy who likes to use task manager to end processes when programs stop responding. So, naturally, I like to have Windows Explorer set so that new folder windows have a separate process.
So, I have this problem that whenever I go start-->run, and type in 'C:\Program Files', for instance, it doesn't come up. I go into task manager and there is that explorer.exe process, stuck around 3,380KB; I just end the process cuz it doesn't go anywhere. To do anything, I have to go to a folder saved on my desktop and open that, cuz that uses the same explorer.exe process; then it opens. So I just set Explorer to use the same process for all folder windows, and now it works. But how can I fix my problem?
thx to all who reply
--kitty

Try again

kitty500cat said:
Hey guys,
I'm a guy who likes to use task manager to end processes when programs stop responding. So, naturally, I like to have Windows Explorer set so that new folder windows have a separate process.
So, I have this problem that whenever I go start-->run, and type in 'C:\Program Files', for instance, it doesn't come up. I go into task manager and there is that explorer.exe process, stuck around 3,380KB; I just end the process cuz it doesn't go anywhere. To do anything, I have to go to a folder saved on my desktop and open that, cuz that uses the same explorer.exe process; then it opens. So I just set Explorer to use the same process for all folder windows, and now it works. But how can I fix my problem?
thx to all who reply
--kitty

This doesn't make sense,
Quote :
'C:\Program Files', for instance
======================
You type in regedit for instance,or any exe file,not a folder.
Try explaining this better.

He or she is talking about using the run command on the start menu.

Its quite possible the problem is spyware related.
What antivirus, anstispyware, and firewall software do you use?

try putting quotes around it, since there's a space between program and files.. eg

"c:\Program Files"

I remember this problem you describe, but i can't remember how it was resolved.. maybe look deep into the dark archives of the TS forum :D

Search is for files

Not folders,just open my computer for folders.

Attachments

• Searc for folders.jpg
    Searc for folders.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 7
I'm using Norton Internet Security(please don't tell me to uninstall it, cuz technically this isn't my computer:)), Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and SpywareBlaster by JavaCoolSoftware. Also, I've run HijackThis and can't find anything in my logs. I had solved this problem by deselecting 'open folder windows in separate process,' which worked, but just treated the symptoms. I just went into folder options and selected that again, and now it works. So I think it's just something with my computer. thx for all your help, guys
cheers
--kitty

you could just use the
My computer shortcut
and then click Program Files

:p

but sorry cant help you otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back