Windows Explorer is slow on D: drive

disciple

I have 3 Sata hdd's; two 160gb and one 1.5TB. Windows 7 is on one of the 160gb, 1.5TB is used purely for games storage anf the other 160gb is used for file storage.

After starting up, whenever I click on Games it takes a while to show all the icons; once it has done it once then it will show the icons immediately every time.

Is there a way of getting it to show the icons immediately first time around? It is not a major problem, more of an irritation, but I would like to know if it can be fixed.

I have no problems with my other hdd's and antivirus and malware all updated and checked for virus's and spyware.

Any help is much appreciated

My Pc is...
Asus P5P41D
Quadcore running at 3.06
4gb of ram
Radeon 5800 2gb
Audigy 4
Corsair 850watt PSU

After starting up, whenever I click on Games it takes a while to show all the icons; once it has done it once then it will show the icons immediately every time.
It seems it slows down while querying the filesystem to create a database of icons of files in the path.
It may be an heavy task if there are large images, video, or executables that must be queried for creating icons.
IMHO you could try changing the icon mode of the file explorer, or trying to create subfolders in order to identify if there are troublesome files that slow down the icon rendering more than others.

Back