Windows Explorer Running Very Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

atherton1989

hi i am currently running Windows XP SP2, with the correct updates, i am having problems with my windows explorer wheneva i try and delete a file it takes 30-60 seconds for the delete popup to appear, this also occurs with the right click on files....it takes ages before the options appear.

I have tried defraging my HD, disk cleanup, virus scanned using laters Norton Internet Security 2006, and proformed a spywear check.

does anyone know any reason that this would happen??

PC SPECS:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600
Dell OptiPlex Gx240 1.7ghz P4 processor
512MB SD RAM
128MB nVidea GeForce FX5200
Virtual memery 2.00 GB
Page File Space 1.22GB

Norton is undoubtedly causing the problem, get rid of it. Get avg antivirus or ca etrust or something, just not norton.

its not Norton, ive had this problem whateva anti virus i use...also...i trust the biggest AV company in the world over a smaller one such as AVG etc.

I have been helping people out on this site for some time now as you can see from both my join date and my post count.

NORTON IS CRAP. The best thing you can do is get rid of it. All the regulars on techspot will tell you the same. It causes far far more problems than it has ever fixed. I personally have never used it on my own pc BECAUSE of all the problems ive seen with it on here. I have uninstalled it on 6 pc's recently that were all running slow and playing up like crazy. On all 6 they began to respond properly the moment it was uninstalled.

That alone should be enough information to show that Norton not only is useless, but actually causes a whole lot of problems of its own.

ive not come here to argue about how good norton is....im looking to fix my explorer problem, and if your only answer is 'uninstall norton' so be it but im lookin for an alternative that does not involve that step...as i know it is not the problem.

although ive never had a problem with Norton, ive used it for 5 years, whereas i know people who have tried using free programs etc. and are not up to scratch, i dint spend $50 just to uninstall it thanks.

anyone got any other suggestions?

Right click freezes are usually caused by a faulty Explorer shell extension put in the right click menu.
Known culprits include Photoshop,Divvx,Spysweeper,Norton.

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders,
you may have to repeat this with the keys-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

From - HERE

Oh,and use Zone Alarm and AVG instead of Norton :)

ok thanks i will try this later...i think it could be adobe photoshop now u mention it, would uninstalling photoshop do the same as the regedit?

If you don`t really need Photoshop by all means uninstall it.

Some programs leave things in the right click even after installing,but I think Photoshop is reputable.

In theory you should not have to uninstall the whole program,just to get rid of one little reg key.

Have a look in Photoshop`s preferences and see if there is anything related to menus,
or remove the relevant reg key as described above,would be my suggestion.

I`ve just found a little tool HERE that looks very useful.From HERE

If removing the right click extensions doesn`t work I cannot think of anything
else that would cause a right click freeze.

The presence of .AVI video files in folders also causes freezes,but that doesn`t seem to be your problem

YES!!!!!!! i fixed it!!!! it turned out to be Streganos Internet Anomolizer that was causing the problem!!!

Thanks for all your help mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back