Windows Explorer Slow Opening Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

This is my first post. Sorry I started with a problem. Here it is, step by step all my problem since my hard disk failuer.

FIRST PROBLEM.

1- Hard disk failed, bought new one Maxtor Diamond 300GB.
2- Installed Widnows XP Professional all looked ok apart from few naging problems which I have sorted out.
3-Noticed at booting new hard disk is reported at 137GB not 300GB.
4- Updated Bios now hard disk shows 279GB but not 300 ( I can live with that what is few GB between me and windows).
5-Windows still think I have 130GB not 279GB as Bios reported.
6- Maxtor sent me a little batch to enable Windows to see my new 300GB, but windows still insist it is a 130GB. So batch did not work.
7- Using Magic Partition 8 to partition and format drive that also did not work.
8- Now I am stuck with a drive that is 300GB but windows think it is 130GB any help will be much appreciated to stop many sleepless night.

SECOND PROBLEM.

Ever since I installed Windows XP Professional I noticed that every time I click on my computer to access my drives it takes a long time to open at least 5 minutes. Even when I want to save a file and trying to open a folder to save the file again it will takes ages to open. Any help will be much appreciated to restore my sanity and sex life.

Regards.

ANTRA.

Right click on My Computer.
Choose Manage (This will open the Computer Management window).
Choose Disk Management under the Storage category
In the blank/empty space that is now visible, create 1 or more partitions, then format them. There's the rest of your HD for you to play with.

Having such a big disk, the MS Indexing system is holding you back (amongst others).
Click Start/Run and type services.msc and hit OK
Scroll down till you find Index Services.
Doubleclick it, click Stop if it's running, and change the Startup type to Disabled.

If this helps, you'd be the first one to get a kick for your sex life out of M$, unheard of!

And if you run Norton/Symantec, I can only say: 'Poor you!'
They are the worst resource hoggers under the sun (AND the moon AND a few more planets).

Hi Tedster

"are you using a controller card or running straight off the motherboard?"

Stright off the motherboard using an ultra cable.

Hi Realblackstuff

"Right click on My Computer.
Choose Manage (This will open the Computer Management window).
Choose Disk Management under the Storage category
In the blank/empty space that is now visible, create 1 or more partitions, then format them. There's the rest of your HD for you to play with."

Fine done all that but what you talking about "In the blank/empty space". I already allowed those resource hoggers Norton/Symantec to abuse my so called 137GB drive and partitioned my drive to two partition one Primary 37GB and the other Virtual Backup of 100GB so what is the empty space you talking about. I do not mind re-partitioning and formating the 100GB partition but the other partition got a lot of stuff in it.

Over to you my friend suitation getting desperate here even the thought of sex is gone forever it is now suicidal thoughts.

Many thanks for ur help anyway.

Antra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back