Windows explorer

kristiana price

Can someone help me with this? I don't know what is happening! Windows explorer keeps opening processes and I can't tell what is happening.

Attachments

• windows task manager capture.PNG
    windows task manager capture.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 14
It can be an old IE, an old version of Java, any number of spyware, malware things. I recommend you look at the last post on this page http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506248/internet-explorer-opens-repeatedly-by-itself/page-3
which shows you many of the cleaning packages available which are all current and any one of them might solve the problem for you. Earlier posts detail where you can download some of the apps mentioned.

Note it is even possible that on some laptops, the user can do this with unintended finger movements on the touchpad. More likely, you are running, all unaware, something which starts IE by itself. That could be Ebay, or any number of social networking sites. The clue would normally be - what site is it opening?

Your best bet is do your utmost to check for spyware and malware, then attempt to uninstall IE entirely. If you really need it - as sometimes you do for certain websites which will only work correctly with IE - then only install the latest version, and do NOT install any add-ons such as toolbars and all the rest of the crud available.

Last edited:
Internet Explorer is not opening. No windows are popping up. Its in the Task Manager and I believe I have a virus. A virus keeps getting blocked that says fake codec.

Very likely. You should start a new thread here https://www.techspot.com/community/forums/virus-and-malware-removal.28/ exactly as you started this thread, and someone like Broni will take you through diagnostic steps. It seems this 'fake codec' in chrome is a known problem, so you stand a good chance of a complete solution.

If you search that particular forum for 'fake codec', you will find other cases like yours, and you can get a preview of what Broni will ask you to do. But please only do exactly what he specifies.

Last edited:
Back