Windows fails to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohalos35

Experiencing a problem with my PC in which the computer fails to boot successfully.

The long version is I left my computer on while at work.. worked fine when i left. When I returned home the monitor was not responding (floating no signal screen). I attempted to reboot the computer and recieved a windows failed to boot successfully (choose safe mode, last known configuration, etc.) message. I clicked Start Windows Normally and the monitor again stopped responding, the hard drive light stayed on constantly, but no sound could be heard from it.

After 10 or so minutes of waiting I hard rebooted it (holding power button in), and this time the power light comes on but the hard drive light does not. The next time i reboot it the windows failed to start message comes back and again the monitor and hard drive stop responding the second i click start windows in either safe mode or normal mode. Then back to the other way (in which the hard drive light never comes on).

I replaced the hard drive but that apparently did not remedy the situation (after powering on with new hard drive the hd light comes on and stays on but nothing ever appears on the monitor and the hard drive makes no noise at all).

Im exhausted and clueless at this point, please help.

also, when i put in the windows cd... when the prompt 'press any key to boot from cd appears' i press a key, it stops responding.

can you enter BIOS? Depending what motherboard/computer you have this can be a different key at boot. usually tapping F1, F2, or Del before windows begins to load will allow you to enter BIOS

ill try that now. i dont even see the BIOS pop up.. it goes from manufacturer logo to that windows start-up error.

i just tried unplugging everything and replacing the RAM sticks.. none of that made any difference at all.

its a POS aka an emachine (that i assure you i did not choose or spend any of MY money on)... i tried going into BIOS during the manu screen and just after

i think throwing it out my second story window, tying it to my honda and driving it down the street might be the next thing i try.

Is your keyboard working? In the setup screen sometimes you have to use the old ps/2 keyboards instead of wireless or usb

i have the keyboard hooked up old school style.... and yeah it seems to work.. i can select start windows normally... its what happens after that....

i held it down while the dog**** logo, i mean emachine logo was on the screen it made a series of clicking noises and then went to the failed startup screen again.... it did cause the 30 seconds til windows starts thing to stop then disappear

I would say your best bet at this point is to try resetting BIOS. All setting will go back to default. There are two ways to erase these dynamic settings, by either resetting a jumper on the motherboard itself (referred to as a "clear CMOS" jumper) you move it from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 then turn on the computer, or by physically remove the power from the computer (disconnecting the power plug) and then removing a battery(on the motherboard), wait a few minutes and reinsert the battery, reconnect the power plug, and then try to enter BIOS again.

Do you know how to remove the case? Not the front panel just the case.

If so. Unplug your computer at the power supply so that there is no power source going into your computer. Remove the case. Look at the motherboard there will be a round battery clipped in that looks like

cmos-battery.JPG

Remove this battery,

Wait 5 minutes,

Clip back in battery,

put the case back on,

plug in power source to power supply,

turn on computer and attempt to enter BIOS

okay so i found the battery, unplugged the comp, took out the battery then put it back in and powered it back up... now it wont do **** and beeps at me every 5 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back