Windows firewall question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I want to know how important it is for some of these to be in the exceptions list of my firewall. One I am not even sure what it is (C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe). Here is the list of exceptions I just found in the list.
avginet.exe
bonjour
file and printer sharing- off
internet explorer
itune
microsoft directplay voice test
remote assistance
remote desktop
run a DLL as an App
UPnP framework
Windows Media Player
Yahoo!FT Server
Yahoo!Messenger

ingeborgdot said:
I want to know how important it is for some of these to be in the exceptions list of my firewall. One I am not even sure what it is (C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe). Here is the list of exceptions I just found in the list.
avginet.exe
bonjour
file and printer sharing- off
internet explorer
itune
microsoft directplay voice test
remote assistance
remote desktop
run a DLL as an App
UPnP framework
Windows Media Player
Yahoo!FT Server
Yahoo!Messenger
The first question is Are you wired through a router? If not, then you are exposed for
remote assistance
remote desktop
run a DLL as an App
UPnP framework
Yahoo!FT Server​
and would delete these and keep 'file and printer sharing' off. Your system can be directly attacked.

If you have a router with NAT and assuming you've not activated any port forwarding, then your list is ok. Personally, I have a router and ONLY enabled
file and printer sharing for my internal LAN systems.

I have a wireless router from SBC(2Wire). I have it secure. Do you know what the run a DLL as an app is???

OK :) you're safe then.

'run a DLL as an app' is a Microsoft goofy way to package an application. The sad part is, it's difficult to SEE or know what's going on.

I have seen this for active web pages
uses scripting method for browsers and browser activated app's.
I have noted some programs are written almost entirely
with java and xml .
I turned of this in one of my machines and have not seen any issues other than some web pages freeze up ,it must be noted that the pc did not freeze and I was able to close the window and keep the app running (windows 2000 pro spk3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back