Windows freezes on startup even after erecovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyna

I have searched and searched on here and nothing seems to fit. My original problem was that, one day I came back to my comp from sleep and it had shut itself down. I restarted, and after maybe 10 seconds, mouse and keyboard both would freeze. Same thing in safe mode, VGA and all of the options on F8. Took it to a tech and he reinstalled Windows XP using some random disc he had and not the Acer eRecovery. After that it worked in safe mode but still froze on normal bootup. The mouse would skip around, then freeze altogether, and the keyboard wouldn't work. Took it back to the tech, who told me he couldn't get it to freeze.

When I got it home it worked, but it appeared to have some crappy resolution set on it, and I figured he just put it on some basic resolution to "fix" the problem hoping I wouldn't notice and didn't bother to go get the drivers for the display adapter. I got the driver, downloaded it, and it began to freeze up again. Therefore I did a reformat the correct way through eRecovery, and it loaded up to the screen that's all "Hey dude you got a new computer, let's set it up" and the MOUSE AND KEYBOARD FROZE AGAIN. You have to hold in the power button to reset it. Won't load at all in safe mode and tells me to "run setup again." I ran the reformat several times with the same result.

My specs are below, the only difference is that I have twice as much RAM as what's listed because we upgraded it. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Acer Aspire 3000

Processor
AMD Mobile Sempron 3000+ / 1.8 GHz
Chipset type
SiSM760GX

Cache Memory
Type
L2 cache
Cache size
128 KB

RAM
Installed Size
256 MB / 2 GB (max)
Technology
DDR SDRAM - 333 MHz
Memory specification compliance
PC2700

Storage controller type
IDE

Hard Drive
40 GB

Optical Storage

Type
CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - Integrated
CD / DVD read speed
24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
CD / DVD write speed
24x
CD / DVD rewrite speed
24x

Display Type
15 in TFT active matrix
Max Resolution
1024 x 768 ( XGA )
Color Support
24-bit (16.7 million colors)

Video
Graphics Processor / Vendor
SiS Mirage 2
Video Memory
Shared video memory (UMA)

Audio
Audio output type
Sound card
Audio output compliant standards
DirectSound
Audio Input
Microphone

Input device type
Keyboard, Touchpad, 4-way scroll button

Network adapter
Networking / Wireless LAN Supported
Yes
Wireless NIC
Acer InviLink 802.11b/g
Data link protocol
Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Fast Ethernet
Networking standards
IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED

Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion Slots Total (Free)
2 ( 1 ) x Memory, 1 ( 1 ) x CardBus - Type II
Interfaces
1 x Modem - Phone line - RJ-11, 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45, 1 x Audio - Line-in/microphone - Mini-phone mono 3.5 mm, 1 x Audio - Line-out/headphones - Mini-phone mono 3.5 mm, 1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A

When it comes to laptops, affordable choices are limited. Memory tops the list. Running memtest86 is a tool used here. Running on half the memory is another approach.

The re-freshed load tends to eliminate corrupt drivers for the keyboard/touchpad.

If the laptop is docked, change things to eliminate external devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back