Windows Hanging, GRUB problems

sullyy1288

I have a home-built desktop (I can give the hardware specs if needed) that's a dual-boot with Ubuntu and Windows 8. In the past day or two while in windows it began having problems where it would get extremely slow, software like Word would stop responding and eventually the desktop would freeze and I would need to restart. Now I also am having trouble even getting it to start up. I use the boot loader GRUB and now I can sometimes get into the OS menu but other times it will pull up GRUB rescue instead saying something like "error attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'" (that happened most times but at least once it had a different error that was something like "failure to read disk").

Currently I am able to get into Windows and Ubuntu without this issue, but start-up for both seem to take longer than they used to, and one post I found about a similar problem indicated that this might be due to a failing HDD, so I was hoping to find out if that is the case and if not what might be the issue.

Back