TechSpot

"Windows has detected spyware infection!"

By kellysafc1985
Nov 22, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

My laptop has recently started getting a message saying "Your computer is infected! Windows has detected spyware infection!" And there is a red circle with a white cross in it.

It says to click to protect my computer from spyware, but I don't trust it. I've seen that other people have had this problem, but I don't know what to do to sort it out.

It also appears that whatever it is that has infected my computer has somehow messed up my web browser - IE - because it isn't working as it normally does, and looks slightly different.

And the last thing, I had AVG installed but it also appears that this has been messed up too as I can't open it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Kelly
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

You are correct. Do NOT click on it 'to remove spyware'. It IS spyware. Please go to the site below and follow the steps for cleaning. When through, attach all 3 logs for review:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.