Windows installation guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonySkids

I know this may sound dumb, but does the windows installation guide found on this website apply to windows Xp even though it only has 2000 & 98 listed? Thanks

Each OS install is slightly different. 2000 will be closest to the XP experience. And also depending on whether your disk has SP2 or not will change a bit as well.

The XP install is just a big wizard like the rest. Go through each screen and then it will be loaded. The main thing to worry about is formatting (losing all data and info) and partitioning if needed (hand in hand with formatting). The rest should be a breeze.

Well if you want a guide, I did a quick search and found this page, which may be overly detailed for you, but more is better then less I suppose:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Scroll about half way down (unless you want to read it all) and start at the heading called "Steps to Clean Install XP"
This is a pretty strait-forward guide, I skimmed it over.

Decide how many partitions you "need", just just a random thought of how many you want. For most purposes, there isn't a need for more then 2 partitions. 1 for Windows, 2nd for data.

All partitioning is also done right from within XP setup program, you don't have to use any other tools or programs. Just tell XP to create a new partition (1st partition, OS) and make it whatever size you need, then have it use the rest of the space for the 2nd partition. Or create a 2nd partition of size, and so on.

Of course you can. The first partition you create you will want to use for Windows. So whether that is the 80% or 20%, create that first. Then create the 2nd partition will all the rest of the available space. And then choose to load XP onto the first partition you created.

It won't be precisley 80/20, but pretty close anyway. And remember XP usually leaves itself about 8mb of space, so don't worry about that extra tiny bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back