Windows Installer and Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirael

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 with Windows Vista home premium...

Whenever I try to uninstall BitDefender AntiVirus (I have recently installed AVG) it says "Windows Installer cannot be accessed."
I've googled and have done everything I find but nothing works.

I don't know if it's a virus or what... I've tried doing a system restore, but the problems still there. I've also done many virus scans in safemode to remove viruses but I guess they're not removing themselves because I still have popups (CiD).

Help anyone? I'm ready to throw this thing out the window... :(

but I guess they're not removing themselves because I still have popups (CiD).
I've moved your thread to: Virus & Malware removal forum
Due to the above ;)

Uninstall your AVG Antivirus
Then run the removal tool
Here is the 32Bit version (most users): http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
Here is the 64Bit version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Have a look at:
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Okay, I've done all that, but ran into some problems.

I could not download SuperAntiSpyware because for some reason this, unlike the other programs, uses windows installer to install, and so I can't install it.

Also, I was not able to update my Java because it said "the installer could not proceed with the current internet connection settings" but found no help on the website. I tried to uninstall java so that I could re-download, but once again, windows installer cannot be accessed.

I'm still having those CiD popups and of course, windows installer is not working.

Due to that, I only have two logs (malwarebytes + HJT)

EDIT: I've also realized that my computer seems to be updating more than normal? It used to do it slightly rarely, now it's doing it practically every time I turn off my computer.

Yes well there's still malware on your computer :(

Re-open HJT and do a scan only, place a tick next to the following, and then press fix:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Up two] "C:\ProgramData\JumpHoldHold.9kp89um"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mess frag body that] "C:\ProgramData\axis enc dupe.9dw5t"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
Huh! AVG8 seems to be installed still as well. Did you run the removal tool?

Well anyway run this too:

Download Combofix
Lots of info on its use h e r e
Direct download h e r e

Locate the downloaded Combofix. Double click on it to run, answering any prompts along the way
Note: during Combofix scan (lasting up to 10mins) your Desktop and clock may reset (all normal)
ComboFix will also restart your computer (eventually) and then (eventually) create a log

Save this log file to be attached to a new reply

Restart

Then do another scan with HJT (scan and log file) and attach this to a new reply as well

Whilst waiting for my reply, you may want to re-open Malwarebytes; update it again; and then run another full scan (I'm thinking there may still be more uncovered malwares to remove) I would do this ;)

Yeah I removed avg after I posted that, because I was halfway through all those steps before I posted. =(

Sorry it was out of order. But I've done scans twice with avira now first time found stuff, second time didn't.

Now going to do what you told me, Thanks. :)

EDIT: Trying to run combofix now, however it's noticing the following real time scanners and telling me to shut them down, however I don't know how.
Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition
Norton Internet Security
BitDefender Antivirus

I don't even have norton internet security...
And I tried closing those programs in task manager, but apparently they're still running.

I ran combofix, but when it went to load the log, it said "access is denied" and didn't give me anything. Then, when I tried to rerun it, the program wouldn't load (it has a combofix bar when I run the program that would only load half way then freeze).
So I ran it in safemode... hope that's still okay.
And the updated HJT log of course... :)

Problem: The log is too big to attach, so I was going to paste it, but everytime I paste, it won't let me post, or my browser freezes. I'll click submit reply, and instead of loading the page, it just comes up blank.

EDIT: Was able to run again in normal mode. The log is still too big, so I made it into a .zip... hope that's ok. :(

Attachments

• ComboFix.zip
    155.3 KB · Views: 5
Yes you still have issues here's the reason why: BitTorrent

Seeming Bittorent is all about sharing files (with malware usually) please un-install it (seeming that's the fault)
Please un-install Bittorent ;)

Also please un-install:

BitDefender
Spybot-S&D
Ad-aware
I'd say even un-install ZoneAlarm, obviously there's no protection going on (I do mean this)

Run the Norton Removal tool

Restart

Then run Combofix again, there were quite a lot of issues ! (I expect the log to be much smaller too ;) )

Yes but, I still can't uninstall some things because windows installer cannot be accessed, and that's the real problem here. :(
I uninstalled BitTorent and Spybot, the rest I could not due to windows installer being used to uninstall it. I can't even find zone alarm on my add/remove programs so... I'll reinstall it and then remove and see if that helps.
Also running norton tool, thanks. :)
I'll give another update in 10minutes once I'm done...
EDIT: I'm not able to reinstall it but it's nowhere to be found in my program files or add/remove programs so I don't know why it's on my computer. :(

Update: WOW, that is considerably smaller. ;)

Yes but still quite bad:
AV: Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated)
AV: Bitdefender Antivirus *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated)

Please download this: Norman AntiMalware scan: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4210-norman-malware-cleaner.html

This is a standalone scanner (so therefore when you download this big program, it's all updated and ready to go.

I suspect that it will find many more Malwares
Of which (after restart) you then may be able to uninstall your installed programs without issue

If not, then you may need to run sfc /scannow which will put all Windows system files back again

I ran norman and I think it found only 2 things, but I am unsure how to read it. My windows installer was still not working, and I was going to post the log but...

I ran sfc /scannow and it told me to complete it I have to restart. So I did, but my computer wouldn't start and it automatically ran Startup Repair. I think it couldn't fix it, because then it went to System Restore Repair, a list of things that I can do to repair... amongst which were "system restore, system repair, memory repair, command prompt..." etc. I tried a couple more system repairs but of course, still not working. So I tried system restore, but it took more than an hour, and it seemed to be frozen on "finalizing system restore." It was taking a ridiculously long time, and it has never taken this long, so I powered off (which was probably a stupid thing to do) and now it's doing the same thing: not turning on and running system repair.

Update: I've tried another system restore and it's been stuck on finalizing file restore for 2 hours now. The bar is still going as if it IS finalizing, but I don't think it is.

I don't really understand what that is... could you explain?

So I guess I have to wipe everything. Will this CD save the data I have (music, documents, pictures, etc)? Will it save programs, or do I have to redownload all those?

Also, I don't have any driver CDs or Windows Vista CDs... for some reason they didn't come in the box.

The blue writing above (in my last post) is clickable, if you click on it, it will answer those questions for you ;)

As for no restore disc, it's possible you may have a recovery partition
When first starting the computer up you may see a prompt to start system recovery press... (and then press that key, whatever that key is ie F10 or something)

But obviously backup with the Ultimate Boot CD first

Hm... I think that might be F8 on my computer... it comes up with a black screen with white writing:
Safe Mode Options
System Repair
Start Windows Normally
etc... I hope that's it. :)

I've burned the CD and am going to run it now... thanks for the help so far. :)

I've looked around on the site your post referred to (ultimatebootcd.com) but I still don't really get what it's going to do. All I need to know is, is it going to wipe all my documents and etc and I won't be able to get them back?

No it's not the F8 key, that menu is the standard Windows boot selection menu, not the Dell Restore menu

Please go here => https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100658.html
Contact Dell and purchase a "Restore Disc" Everyone should have one of these, just in case the Harddrive fails. By the way, because you own Windows on your computer already, the Restore disc will be very cheap (and worth it)

Good luck :grinthumb

edit

Regarding the UBCD, in that link again up there is also a tutorial for UBCD
But no, you are not wiping any data, if using the Ultimate Boot CD to back up your data

:( I'm going there, and I guess I'm just an *****, but I still don't understand.

I'm in tutorials, I've burned the CD, and now I'm going to do the tutorial "use UBCD to wipe harddrive" because I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing with this thing.

?

Um not that one :) But certainly a good read

Just boot up the disc then put in a flash drive (that's what I use)
Then locate your data, then back it up

Now to me that's simple stuff. But to explain Explorer would take a long time to you
So you may need someone with more experience to back up your computer using this disc. ie mentioning "wipe" tells me you are not very technically minded

Best to seek help from someone there to help you, before continuing. Please note anyone above 13 should know these days. Backing up is of utmost importance.

Yes, I do realize I don't know what I'm doing, reason why I have not gone through with anything yet.

I do however have a very experienced friend with computers, perhaps he can help me.

I'm talking to Dell support right now (they talk to you like you're 5...) but they don't seem very helpful. They're telling me to restore to factory settings, and that it's impossible to recover data. But this UBCD seems to be able to do it.

*sigh*

My friend doesn't know how to use it, and that's all I have.
I don't understand how I'm supposed to find my data since all I see is a blue screen with a bunch of menus, and I'm not sure which menu to go into... etc. I've tried to find, but I just don't know what menus to pick. =(

Try asking at UBCD forums
I don't actually use the disc, never have. As I created my own all purpose (better than UBCD) boot disc. I cannot post it though due to program licensing issues

Sorry for such a long time to respond---took awhile to fix.
Was finally able to figure it out, after downloading ubcd4win and asking on the forums when I encountered problems with my usb...

Thanks so much for all the help. :)

Actually thanks for the update
But can you let me know what was the exact fix, or even quote the thread you were getting help on at the UBCD forums. Because I had a very similar episode yesterday, and I wasn't able to explain the UBCD steps to take (annoyingly)

Yes certainly...

The link you gave me was for UBCD... but I don't know if it was the version or what, but it just came up with a blue screen with a bunch of menus. VERY confusing, and not at all helpful to people who just don't get computers.

I was just searching around the net to find some help, and ran across UBCD4win at www.ubcd4win.com which actually looked like a computer when loaded up--wallpaper, "my computer," and other handy stuff that is quite similar to what you have when your computer is working.

The only thing was, it wasn't reading my usb when I plugged it in (it was an iPod) and the simple fix was to put it into disk mode, which was as simple as pressing a button. From there I was able to backup my files...
I made a thread asking how to get it to read my usb:
http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12561

Thank-you this is helpful. I should have quoted UBCD4win not UBCD (in future I will always do that now)

Also you confirmed that on your iPod you needed to put it in Disk mode (although I don't have an iPod, I suppose if I tell others this they will know what I mean

By the way, I take it that there's some really easy program in there (UBCD4win) that clearly shows your Harddrive (C drive ?) and your USB device, that you can just copy\paste data from (for backing up purposes)

Maybe I should just download it and run it hey :D

Yes, there is "my computer" which lists all your hard drives as it normally does. :)
And yep, just copied and pasted. Although there are I believe... two? programs on there that help you back up your stuff.

And for turning it into disk mode, it's different for every ipod.
But here's the apple site stating how to do it for the different kinds:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back