Inactive Windows installer keeps popping up and some folders say "Access is denied"...help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get windows installer popping up when I start up windows and when I open Microsoft Word...so far those are the only ones so far. This is what I get.

Yesterday, I created another user account and deleted it. When it asked me to "Keep Files" or "Delete Files" ...I selected "Delete Files"...I'm not sure if this is what started, but it might be. I also played around with the security settings on some folders on Administrator account that "blocked" the user I created from accessing it.

What is this c:\hp\tmp\src\setup\destinations that keeps popping up?

I've searched on hard drive to find the .msi file, I have an hp folder, but I don't have a "tmp" folder.

Example of one of the folders that are denied

C:\Program Files\Adobe is not accessible. Access is denied.

I've scanned with MBAM, Super Anti-Spyware and AVG...and the problem still isnt solved. My logs are attached below. AVG scan was scanned last and no infections were detected. Trojans were found and the problem still exist. Is there a way to restore default security settings? I also didn't have System Restore on.

Do you guys have any solutions?

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-06-04 (16-30-17).txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 3
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 06-04-2010 - 17-40-41.log
    8.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2
  • hijackthis.log
    16 KB · Views: 2
Yesterday, I created another user account and deleted it. When it asked me to "Keep Files" or "Delete Files" ...I selected "Delete Files"...I'm not sure if this is what started, but it might be. I also played around with the security settings on some folders on Administrator account that "blocked" the user I created from accessing it.
Deleting the user account and its files shouldn't make a difference. Playing around with security settings definitely could. But before you address ownership and settings, answer each specific question below

1. Exact make and model computer?
2. It appears you're running XP SP3?
3. Do you have your MS Office install CDs (if need be)?
4. Is "hp destinations" the thing the installer prompts you for when you first boot?
5. Do you have an HP printer? and/or other HP devices?

You can also try Revo Uninstaller and uninstall anything HP related. If prompted to reboot, do not. Let Revo finish uninstalling and removing any leftovers. Then manually reboot. Repeat till you remove all the HP entries you find

You're welcome :)
He still may have some other issues, but I'd like to make sure, the computer is clean, first.

Hey, thanks for trying to help guys.

It was getting so frustrating, I couldn't wait any longer and decided to just format my hard drive...It's a tedious process, but I felt I messed up my computer too much to fix it.

Now it's all clean again...I will not mess with security settings and delete files so quickly.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back