windows installer problem

By cazador31
Jan 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I cannot get anything to install. The program i try to install for a short
    time then i get a message saying to INSERT THE DISK. It tells me to insert
    the disk that is already in. I have two drives and it happens in both of
    them. . I need help here, as i cannot load software. I have done all that microsoft suggests to do.

XP Home
    512 Ram

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Is you copy of XP up to date from Microsoft. There have been a couple of changes to the installer software. You can do a search at Microsoft for deleting the Installer's Log to start a new one. This file can be corrupted by any number of things.

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,552   +301

Try copying whatever you are trying to install to your hard drive first.

4. cazador31

cazador31 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Installer problems

I tried copying the files to my hard drive and that did not work either. There must be some way to fix this short of reformatting.

5. Liquidlen

Maybe I missed this .
    Are you trying to install Windows and a message comes up asking for other files?
    Or are you trying to install some other program and the window pops up looking for some files but the indicator shows the disk that is in the CD drive currently?

6. cazador31

Installer problems

I am trying to install other files. No matter which drive i use i get the same message to insert the installer disk. That disk is already in there. It runs most of the way normally then it tells me to insert the disk. I even ejected the disk and put it back in, but still get the same message. It's very perplexing

Thank You

7. Liquidlen

You should be able to click on the little diamond next to the disk that is listed . This will bring down Explorer and you can Browse to the files you want. Then just click O.K.

8. cazador31

Installer problems

I'm not sure what you mean. I see no diamond to click. How do i do that?

9. Liquidlen

Does the message window have the drive listed in a highlighted space?

10. cazador31

Installer problems

No.. the only other place i can the file is in my computer in the drive it is inserted in

11. Liquidlen

I do not think I am understnding you properly.If you could post a screen shot of your error window that would be great.

12. cazador31

I can tell you what it says

INSTALL THE ROXIO 8 SUITE DISK 1--that disk is already in there when i get it.

Can the sound card cause problems? Soundblaster audigy 2zs

13. Liquidlen

It does not sound as though the software is installed, so I do not think you could have a conflict at this point.
    I still think you have a problem with the windows installer itself.Try a search at Microsoft. You will see that they have updated and recommend re-installation of the installer software.

Also, if you think there may be files from failed installs on your HDD and registry .Do a comeplete uninstallation including cleaning the registry , before you try to install again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.