Windows Installer runs automatically in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

palla2007

Hey Guys!
I'm new to this forum.. Presently i've WinXP SP2.
I recently installed a new Firewall called "WebRoot Desktop Firewall".
After that, i've Windows Installer runs automatically running my Bluetooth service, without me doing anything.. I set the "Windows Installer" service to "Manual". But it still shows "Started".
I also removed "Bluetooth" software from my PC.

So i removed the file 'msiexec.exe' from c:\windows\system32 from my PC.
After that, PROBLEM SEEMED TO BE SOLVED, but the problem comes once in a while..

Can you tell me is this a virus?
Could deleting of 'msiexec.exe' file have any effect on further installations ?

Please shed some light on this problem!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It is possible you have a virus, but we`d need to check.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

I don`t think it was wise to delete the msiexec.exe file.

Download the attached .zip file and extract it. Place the msiexec.exe file back in your system32 folder.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Attachments

• msiexec.zip
    31.9 KB · Views: 7
if you suspect a virus, go and read the faq howard linked on how to post a hjt and we'll have a look at it.

have you tried uninstalling webroot and see if that made any difference?
You should always start with what you've changed last, then branch out through other troubleshooting. Also try system restore if all else fails..

Hey zipperman!
Meanwhile i check what Howard mentioned can you please give me the link to the fix you mentioned.

Anyhow thanks all of you guys for some quick answers, i'll just check what is HJT and will send it soon for your perusal !!

Hey N3051M!
I dont want to uninstall WebRoot, it looks good to me!!
Meanwhile i'll send that HJT!!

Hey Howard!
I've posted the HJT log file in Security forum. It's title is "MY HJT log and Windows Installer" something like this. Please check and let me know the solution to my problem. Please help as i'm getting lot of trouble, as i've close the Installer window so many times!!

Zipperman already gave you what he thinks may fix your problem. It`s in the title of his post. Namely: Windows Update. Click start/All programs/Windows Update.

Regards Howard :)

Hey Howard!
I've posted the HJT log file in Security forum. It's title is "MY HJT log and Windows Installer" something like this. Please check and let me know the solution to my problem. Please help as i'm getting lot of trouble, as i've close the Installer window so many times!!

Thanks in advance!!

looking into it

howard_hopkinso said:
Zipperman already gave you what he thinks may fix your problem. It`s in the title of his post. Namely: Windows Update. Click start/All programs/Windows Update.

that might work

Just a quick update.

palla2007 did post a HJT log in the security forum and his system is infected with some very nasty malware. Whether this has anything to do with his installer problem is any ones guess at the moment, but I wouldn`t be surprised.

Hey Howard_ hopkinso, man I was just looking at how many posts you have put in 24,690 CRAP MAN!

I think you need to go fishing or something man! Relax

I know your doing a good deed helping by helping us computer dumbies out but your going to do a valve or somthing!

Lol, you quite right mate, I could do with a break now and again. ;)

However, I only do it cause I enjoy it. If it ever gets to the point where I don`t enjoy it no more, believe me I`ll stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back