Windows is messed up, need to save my data!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new PC with Windows XP media center edition 2005 pre-installed, I began to get error messages and my PC would restart by itself randomly, long story short I get some “ Kernal error” (even if I try and start system recovery) message which after some research basically means my system files are messed up and I need to either re-install windows or repair the files.

So because my computer came with no CD’s I had to somehow get a copy of Windows media center edition. So I downloaded Windows XP professional and for some reason I couldn’t get the repair option to appear, apparently the versions of windows need to be the same in order for the repair option to work, ok so now I download Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, but now something odd happens, the CD boots up and sends me directly to this page http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/RC 015.jpg that page looks almost exactly like this except it’s blue and there’s an option to restart my computer. So now I’m scratching my head thinking “why the hell did it send me here?” and I’m not even sure what the page is asking me, I guess it’s asking me if I would like to reinstall windows in one of these drives but I certainly don’t want that, my guess is the version of Windows MCE I downloaded was screwy because someone hacked it and put all 3 CD’s into one.

So I continue reading online and I’m not sure if I got this straight but it’s difficult if not impossible to repair Windows MCE?

Basically my objective is to repair my pc without destroying my files,or some how get the data in my pc (maybe 100gb or so) and save it on my external HD, then reinstall windows. Any ideas? :confused:

I was curious what would happened if I installed windows into my d: drive, it’s 8gb’s while leaving my c: drive alone (where all my important data is at) its 240gb yet my cdrive would still have a curropt windows mce installed.

If you have access to another computer (making sure it has the same kind of hard drive connection as yours like SATA or IDE/ATA) you should attach your hard drive to the other computer as a slave drive and install a VERY useful freeware program called TestDisk ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk ). If you choose to do this, you should be able to plug your external drive into the other computer and copy all the files to it via TestDisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back