TechSpot

Windows keeps attempting to connect

By b2bomber81
Apr 10, 2004
  1. Running WinXP

I don't have any software open, and Windows keeps attempting to connect to the internet. If I leave the computer running and connected to the phone line, it will dial in without my intervention.

Any ideas what could be causing this, and what I could do to stop it?

Thanks

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Check the "Automatic Update"-settings from the likes of all browsers, AntiVirus progs, firewalls etc. And of course XP itself.

Also check your dial-up setting, to where it is phoning to. If to your normal ISP, it is most likely an automatic updater (unless of course you have been hijacked/infected/trojaned, in which case run: AdAware and Spybot).

Until you find the cause, I would advise you to un-check remember the user-password and empty your password-field.
    The inconvenience is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

3. tomrice32

tomrice32 TS Rookie Posts: 50

Try going to control panel and find internet options.. go to the connections tab and click "Never Dial a Connection" then apply and click ok. Now it should only connect to the internet when you tell it to

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Tomrice32, that setting can be overridden by a hacker, emptying the password-field is much safer.

5. b2bomber81

b2bomber81 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

I checked, and Windows Automatic Update was turned on. So we will see if that solves the problem.

Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.