Windows lock ups and crashes after idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently built a new computer out of all brand new parts. I have a weird problem where windows will lock up and give me a blue screen, or I have to restart after its been idle for awhile. I think that is the cause, although I'm not sure. I've run memtest and windows memory diagnostics, and both passed with 0 errors. I'm running antivirus and spyware protection, but doubt it is any of those. I also made a new pagefile in case that was the problem, but it didn't help.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some help, as I've tried most of the info I've found, but no luck. I tried reading the .dmp files using windows dumpchk, but couldn't decipher anything, so maybe there is something easy or simple I'm missing. I'm thinking it might be the motherboard, or a bad driver or something, but I'm really not sure. I haven't been able to find any rhyme or reason to the lock ups. In addition to the .dmp files I attached, it has locked up several other times without giving a .dmp file. The usual error code is 0x1000000a, but there have been others such as 0x00000077 kernel_stack_inpage_error.

Thanks in advance for any help.

As an update, I tried checking my hard drive for errors with the hd manufacturer's program at boot and the program locked. When I run chkdsk, it comes up with unspecified errors as well, and locks at the end. So now, I'm wondering if its my hard drive. I'm also thinking maybe reformatting and reinstalling everything might be a good way to go. I've included another .dmp file in case anyone can help me.

Thanks again

Attachments

• dump1.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
The minidumps are pointing to a SYMDI.sys file. This file is part of a Symantec/Norton program. Do you have one installed? It is possible for this file to be altered by a malware or virus attack. See if you can report this to Symantec Support. They may be able to help you with this

thanks

Thanks for the quick help. I'm in the process of uninstalling Norton with the utility from symantec, and I'll see what that does.

UPDATE
------------------
I removed Norton, and to be on the safe side, reformatted and reinstalled windows. Before I installed any drivers, and without connecting to the internet, I ran prime95 last night, and it crashed again. No dump file, but this was the error I got.

kernel_stack_inpage_error
0x0000007a (0xe1466cbc, 0xc00000e, 0xbf8f5c8f, 0x1403b860)

I'm thinking that something might be wrong with the hard drive. Right after I installed windows, I did a chkdsk that came up fine. This morning though, it came up with errors. I plan on trying a few other things like disconnnecting my cd rom drive, and switching ide cables. Any other suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

another update

I removed Norton, and to be on the safe side, reformatted and reinstalled windows. Before I installed any drivers, and without connecting to the internet, I ran prime95 last night, and it crashed again. No dump file, but this was the error I got.

kernel_stack_inpage_error
0x0000007a (0xe1466cbc, 0xc00000e, 0xbf8f5c8f, 0x1403b860)

I'm thinking that something might be wrong with the hard drive. Right after I installed windows, I did a chkdsk that came up fine. This morning though, it came up with errors. I plan on trying a few other things like disconnnecting my cd rom drive, and switching ide cables. Any other suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-----tried deleting post to merge with post above, but couldn't figure out how to delete....sorry----------------

Good troubleshooting ivansoup,
replace the drive and reinstall Windows. You can even reinstall Norton and everything will be ok

Problem narrowed

Next I tried changing the IDE cables which did nothing, but after that I unplugged the CDRW which was attached as the slave device on my ide cable. The computer has been running prime95 for about 24 hours with 0 crashes or problems. However...thats without a CD drive.

The CDRW was a Philips CDRW. Its about 5 years old. My motherboard is the Gigabyte P965-DS3. My CDRW is the only part of the computer that isn't brand new, but it was working fine in my previous computer. My guess is that there is a problem with the IDE controller on the motherboard handling 2 devices maybe? Although the CD drive worked fine when both devices were attached. The computer just crashed randomly...I'm thinking maybe I'll buy a IDE to SATA converter and put it on my hard drive or the CDRW to hopefully solve the problem. Either that or replace the motherboard or the CD drive. I'm not really sure how to narrow the problem down further.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back