TechSpot

Windows login screen

By navygin21
Aug 21, 2003
  1. I've never set a password for Windows XP. About a month ago I downloaded some critical updates from the Microsoft website and when my system rebooted the password screen popped up. It pops up every time I start up my computer. Is there any way to disable the login screen since I never setup a password? Thanks.

2. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

Yeah,
    I know what your talking about, same thing happened to me. Can't remember which update it was though. I would also like to know how to disable it. You dont have to enter a password, it just stops at that logon screen and waits for you to click on your login, I find it annoying.....

3. schizoid77

schizoid77 TS Rookie Posts: 113

Yep, same here. Right after some windows updates...I find it very annoying. Just take me to my freakin' desktop already!!!!!

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,687   +394

If you download powertoys for xp you can go to the login thing and set it to autologin. Works if you set up a password and didn't want to type it. Imagine it works if you don't too.
    There is a simplier way (maybe?) by doing it in user accounts control panel I think.
    But I recommend getting the powertoys cause it has a lot of other cool things.

5. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

Thanks SNGX..that did it! Powertoys works:grinthumb

6. XtR-X

XtR-X TS Rookie Posts: 863

I believe through Administrative Tools and then going into Local Users and Groups you can do this.

7. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Powertoys is nice. It has a lot of neat featuers, as well as the one you need here.

It allows you to log right into windows and not worry about a username or password. Another feature I like is that it doesn't ask you to change your password every 45 days either.

It is definately worth checking out.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.