Windows Me Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

I was wondering...is Windows ME a good operating system to use? If not, what would be a way to dual-boot into Windows 98SE? I think I'm having graphics performance problems on the system listed here:

Pentium 3 450mHz ~448mHz; 100mHz FSB
NVIDIA RIVA TNT 16MB AGP 2X (external and upgradeable)
Original Clock: 90mHz Core, 110mHz Memory
Overclock Settings (RivaTuner): 100mHz Core, 120mHz Memory
Windows ME OS
Promise Ultra66 PCI IDE Controller
-40GB MAxtor ATA133 HD ~ ATA66 (old HD broke down 3-4 years ago: this one is the new hd)
-MA****A DVD-ROM drive (6xDVD/32xCD)
1.44MB floppy drive
256MB PC100 Memory; 1 bank free
-2x128 memory sticks
Creative Soundblaster PCI64 Soundcard (onboard)
56K Modem
2 USB, 1 serial, 1 parallel port

I thank you for helping me with this question.

No windows ME is not a good OS, it wasnt good when it was released and now that support has been ended for it there will be no updates, security or otherwise released for it. that makes it a liability for any machine connected to the internet.

if yuo want another OS then load XP. your system is capable of running it.

But if you want XP tu run good, you'll need at least 512MB minimum. But SDRAM these days is becoming more expensive.

Yes, WinMe is TERRIBLE. I have it on one of my system, and it crashed constantly, have OS holes, its just plain sh*t. yes as iss stated, WinXP is a very good OS to consider, maybe even Win200, since XP was built based on W2K's engine. But if your going to install XP, i would reccommned getting ahold of another stick of 256MB, since you said you had 1 slot free, and theat'll bring it up to 512MB. and thats really what you want in a WinXP system to make it run good.

...AMD

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
maybe even Win200

windows 2000 is the WORST OS I ever tried. It tooked to boot more than one minute. I tried to install it on my current machine, and this system isn't slow.
It's complete garbage.
Hell, it doesn't even have msconfig, which I use a lot to control my system. Had to do some annoying things to get it.

not recommended :mad:

I wanted to use Windows 98SE for compatibility with older programs (Anyone play Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge?). Also, I can't afford a valid copy of Windows XP, and I do have a custom disk of Windows 98SE/Windows ME. I want to dual-boot to Windows98SE. My actual question is: If I want to install Windows 98SE, will I have to reinstall every app that I just installed on that PC not more than a few months ago of doing a full reformat/reinstall of Windows ME (upgraded fro previous os, Windows98)?

if you cant afford WinXP from a reatil store, go to ebay, i bought my copy off a wholesaler for $34

as for wolfram: I use Win2000 on one of my PCs and it runs great. but then again every PC is differetns.

...AMD

NO. PLEASE DO NOT LOAD WINME!
Sheesh, it was definatly the worse OS from MSFT.
Windows 2000 is a good option. It runs very clean and very well on older hardware.

wolfram said:
windows 2000 is the WORST OS I ever tried. It tooked to boot more than one minute. I tried to install it on my current machine, and this system isn't slow.
It's complete garbage.
Hell, it doesn't even have msconfig, which I use a lot to control my system. Had to do some annoying things to get it.

You can download msconfig to your WINNT/system32 directory and it works!
http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

-Toby
TBG SAV

Windows 2000, and WinXP are pretty much the same OS technically.

Windows 2000: Built off the NT engine, more desinged for coporate users, still employed by many coporations today, b/c of reliability, and scalability. takes advantage of 64Bit CPUs, and takes advantage of Multiple CPUs. Can handle 8GB RAM, if im not mistaken.

Windows XP Home edition: also built on the NT engine, designed for Home and small office users. Employed by many ppl today MS estimated 500million copies are in use. only version really designed for 64Bit is Windows XP Pro x64 edition, can handle up to 4GB of RAM.

So as you can see, Windows 2000 and WinXP share the same "core" features, but are also very different in feautres and sclability.

...AMD

And it can be very fast, especially if you remove the crap it installs, like windows messenger etc.

Overall, very good and fast system. Also, Win98SE is a fast, completely configurable system. Only a bit old :)

the only question about windows ME should be how do I delete it and remove it off my computer. It is the absolute WORST OS microsoft ever made. Even 98SE was superior.

So....Should I get an external Backup Device to backup my stuff before reinstalling Windows 98SE? The computer I am installing on does not come with a CD Burner.

greatman05 said:
Pentium 3 450mHz ~448mHz; 100mHz FSB
NVIDIA RIVA TNT 16MB AGP 2X
Windows ME OS
40GB MAxtor ATA133 HD
DVD-ROM drive (6xDVD/32xCD)
1.44MB floppy drive
256MB PC100 Memory; 1 bank free
Creative Soundblaster PCI64 Soundcard (onboard)
56K Modem
2 USB, 1 serial, 1 parallel port

The short and simple answer to this is: Do not install Windows XP or 2000 on a system of that spec, unless you really enjoy sitting around waiting for your OS to boot, followed by sitting aroung waiting for your services, background tasks and, finally, applications to load.

Windows ME is basically an 'updated' Windows 98SE with the Windows 2000 GUI and a plenty of restrictions to prevent you from realising that DOS is running in the background. Uninstall it and throw it away.

The best OS for your particular machine is Windows 98SE. You should install it and then go to microsoft download centre and download Internet Explorer 6 SP1. Then you should go to the windows update and install all critical updates.

As to Win2k, yes it booted up slowly and is now virtually obsolete, except as a server OS for those that don't want to go with Server 2003, but it wasn't the worst OS ever. In fact it was probably MS's first good OS. XP and 2000 are alot more similar than you may think. Msconfig can be copied over from XP and works fine. Just place it, IIRC, in the %systemroot%\WINNT\system32 folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back