Windows Media Center won't be compatible with Windows 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows media center microsoft windows media center windows 10

Microsoft has confirmed that it is killing off Windows Media Center in Windows 10. The admission came during a private meeting at Microsoft’s Build conference in San Francisco according to a report from ZDNet.

As it turns out, the code for Media Center simply isn’t compatible with Windows 10 and Microsoft has no plans to modify it to make it work.

Microsoft introduced Windows Media Center as a forked version of Windows XP way back in 2002 and it quickly became the go-to option for Home Theater PC (HTPC) builders. The software was upgraded over the years to support features such as high-definition TV and support for CableCard devices but over time, its user base began to dwindle (it's now considered "infinitesimal" according to Microsoft's automatic telemetry).

Windows Media Center hasn’t been actively developed since 2009, the same year Windows 7 launched. The software stuck around for another OS cycle, however, as it’s currently available for Windows 8.1 via the Media Center Pack add-on, though Microsoft makes it clear that the Xbox One is now its primary entertainment hub.

If you (or your HTPC) can’t live without Windows Media Center, it’s probably best if you simply stick with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 instead of upgrading your box to Windows 10 this summer. Microsoft will provide support for these two operating systems until 2020 and 2023, respectively.

If you prefer to run the very latest Microsoft OS, there are plenty of other media options to choose from including Kodi and Plex, just to name a few.

Permalink to story.

How will I watch TV on my TV tuner on Windows 10 if Media Centre ain't gonna be supported??

It's on Win 8.1??? I use that OS on my PC occasionally and never even knew it was there. I predominantly use Win 7, I knew it was there but the next time I use it, it'll be the first time. Somehow I don't think I'm gonna miss it much.

"As it turns out, the code for Media Center simply isn’t compatible with Windows 10 and Microsoft has no plans to modify it to make it work."

Why am I not surprised! This is what happens when a company losses interest in their own software. The biggest problem is MS not caring to make software that people are willing to use. People lost interest because MS did so first.

"As it turns out, the code for Media Center simply isn’t compatible with Windows 10 and Microsoft has no plans to modify it to make it work."

Why am I not surprised! This is what happens when a company losses interest in their own software. The biggest problem is MS not caring to make software that people are willing to use. People lost interest because MS did so first.

The joy of having a company stop updating software like Media Center is that independent developers will start making their own... And then there will be a large selection to choose from on Windows 10

How will I watch TV on my TV tuner on Windows 10 if Media Centre ain't gonna be supported??

You can try using Kodi (formerly XBMC). http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR
I'm going to start experimenting with Kodi for live TV and recording as well. If I can't make it work well enough, I'm not going to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 10.

yes, although your tuner card should have come with it's own basic software. Mine did anyway. it doesn't include a DVR function like Windows Media Center, but it worked well enough for live TV.

thanks for listing the possible replacements. I'll try out Kodi myself. Hopefully it's smart enough to know when a show starts ten minutes late. Anything I ever record on a Sunday gets backed up by sporting events and then the end of the show is missing from the recording.

I've never understood the "need" for MS Media Center. With an HDMI => HDTV I can produce whatever I need, including, music, slide shows and movies. I don't have a TV device but that's kind of ludicrous in the first place ( ^tv device -- pc -- connection -- tv ??? )

For the people whining about not having media center, that's what the windows store is for. Developers will make a better media center. Hint hint

I'm going to start experimenting with Kodi for live TV and recording as well. If I can't make it work well enough, I'm not going to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 10.

yes, although your tuner card should have come with it's own basic software. Mine did anyway. it doesn't include a DVR function like Windows Media Center, but it worked well enough for live TV.

thanks for listing the possible replacements. I'll try out Kodi myself. Hopefully it's smart enough to know when a show starts ten minutes late. Anything I ever record on a Sunday gets backed up by sporting events and then the end of the show is missing from the recording.
That happens with Media Center too. Whenever a football game goes overtime, the ending is cut off. So I usually have it record 30 minutes past when I think it will end.

Kodi doesn't support cablelabs cable card turners such as Ceton InfiniTV 6
I just use broadcast TV. I know I'm behind the times.

Kodi doesn't support cablelabs cable card turners such as Ceton InfiniTV 6
Kodi uses a backend/frontend setup for PVR and does work with Ceton cards and HDHomeRun devices.

I have not tried recording live TV, but I've used a MediaPortal server and linked my Kodi end clients to it. Works well.

I have not tried recording live TV, but I've used a MediaPortal server and linked my Kodi end clients to it. Works well.
Recording live tv works perfectly with MediaPortal server. Schedules may be set up in the MediaPortal Server configuration manager if you want to, or in the MediaPortal Client. I'm using HD HomeRun tuners.

Back