TechSpot

Windows Media Player, No Video, just Sound sometimes :S

By deeps1987
Feb 1, 2008
  1. hey guys
    windows media player used to pay all my movie files fine, but i noticed today, i get sound and no video, but if i keep double clicking the file im playing, i get video as well eventually, any idea whats going on?
    i did system restore to a few days back, un-installed my graphics card drivers,and re-installed them, no luck.

few basic system specs if it helps

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.7Ghz
    ATI X2900 Pro (1Gb GDDR4) @ 858/1153
    OCZ Reaper DDR2 8500 (4 x 1GB Sticks)

2. tuant

tuant TS Enthusiast Posts: 256

Seems to be a codec issue. Make sure all the latest codecs are installed. Personally I use VLC player (free download) and it works great with all my videos.

Hope this helps

3. deeps1987

deeps1987 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 135

hmmm good point, every time i play a video, on the bottom left hand side it says, acquiring codec, then codec acquired, yet it still messes up. hmm where do i get the codecs it wants? :S
    i use VLC sometimes, but i prefer the everyday use and simplicity of Windows Media Player, if i can get it working.
    What i don't get is, it all worked fine a few days ago, now its just being odd.

4. deeps1987

right, i installed the latest 'All in one codec' thingy, uninstalled windows media player 11, tried 10, that didnt work, then a fresh install of 11 again, still no luck.
    I even reinstalled direct X9, made no difference, running out of ideas now :(
    i really dont want to re-format my pc, but it seems liekt he only choice.
    any ideas guys?

5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

those all in ones sometimes break machine software
    I would un-install any of these you have
    then start with fresh look at what codecs you need to play the movies you have
    google for Codec/Video Identifiers

6. tuant

7. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 663

I reccomend K-lite. It's the codec pack i use and i can play everything in WMP

8. deeps1987

thanks guys, but even after i un-installed the codec's, it still didnt work, so i just reformatted my pc, everything is fine now, hope it doesnt happen again, whatever caused it in the first place.

9. tuant

This might be a typo on your end, but you were suppose to install the codecs, not un-install. Anyway, glad your computer works.

10. deeps1987

It wasn't a typo, i un-installed the codec pack i had, and tried to play a standard .wmv file, which should require a codec, and that didn't work.
    Then i reformatted my pc, got it all working, then yet again got the same problem, as far as i can tell, it was because of ATI Catalyst Control 8.1, when i use 7.12, its all fine, so i think ATI drivers caused me all of this hassle :(
    even the fact that i un-installed ATI CC 8.1 to go back to 7.12 didn't work, neither did system restore.
    This has been the worst software problem iv had, purely for the fact its from a hardware driver from someone like ATI. But i have had problems with ATI new driver releases before.
    Anyways, i had to reformat my pc yet again, this time I'm just sticking to ATI CC 7.12 and so far everything is working fine.

11. DevilLee

DevilLee TS Rookie

Why not use Windows media Classic, it's a free ware and much powerful than windows media player...

12. mazameez

mazameez TS Rookie Posts: 21

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.