windows media player problem

By coreyrockstar
Jun 10, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i can't seem to get windows media player xp working. If i click on the player icon or a clip nothing happens. i tried to uninstall then reinstall but the same happens. what could it be?
  2. Godataloss

Godataloss Newcomer, in training Posts: 501

Do you have another media player you could try to play the files with in order to rule out a hardware problem? I recommend winamp.
  3. coreyrockstar

coreyrockstar Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 21

all the other media players work fine.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Newcomer, in training Posts: 107

You're installing it from the XP disc?

when you bang in a music cd, does it prompt you "Open with..."

:confused:
  5. coreyrockstar

coreyrockstar Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 21

yeah, i reinstalled with the xp cd.
    when i put an audi cd it prompts me 'open with..' and i chose to open with windows media player but nothing happens.
  6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Have you tried upgrading to the newest media player? I'd give that a shot as it has a lot of cool new features that you might like as well as it might fix your problem.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Newcomer, in training Posts: 107

Yeah, try media player 9. It's a big download if you're still on dialup - like me, but most PC magazine CD's have it on 'em.

Sometimes theres handy stuff on them that saves ages of download time- Drivers etc...

Good luck...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.