TechSpot

Windows Media Player & Windows Lockups

By superstud101
Oct 29, 2007
  1. Hi all this is my first post so please be nice :)

If i try to play any type of media file then windows media lockup and if i close it with task manager then windows locks up :mad:
    i have reinstalled windows twice and still no joy my windows xp is the september release with media player 11.
    O'yer and i can convert video file to dvd and they play back fine on my dvd player but not on the pc and i can rip and wright cds using wmp.

I have a 2.2gh p4 cpu and 1gb ram 64mb ati 7000 500w psu and windows xp home 32bit.

Thanx for any help you can give me.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Google and get memtest and run it for atleast 7 passes.

3. superstud101

superstud101 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi thanx for the reply i downloaded memtest86 and ran it, it took a long time but after the test had finished there was no errors.

i have found that nero 8 showtime can play audio files fine but i cant play video files still its not a codec prob cos like i said i can convert video files fine i just cant watch them which makes no sence to me.
    i herd it could be a grafix card prob but i dont wont to by a new one unless i have to cos after buying the new windows xp home i dont really wont to blow any more money unless i really must.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.