TechSpot

windows media player wont play videos

By vpu3
Oct 20, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my windows media player wont play videos. It just nearly freezes the computer. What is the problem?
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

your post was way too vague. you'll need to provide detailed and correct information about your system before anyone can help you here. here's a few questions to get you started?

do you have any functioning antivirus or other protective software? what version of windows do you have, and what service pack are you up to? what version of windows media player do you have? what type of video are you trying to play?
  3. vpu3

vpu3 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 29

wmp 9 or 10 system mechanic antivirus and anti hacker. An pci express card.
    windows xp
  4. Andy44409

Andy44409 Newcomer, in training

i have the same problem ive just replaced my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp pro and my media player wont play videos .
    It works fine but obviously no video till the proper codecs are installed then after that everytime i try to play any type of video file on any media player or dvd it just locks up my pc and stops responding.
    Untill the reinstall it worked fine and i have used the same codec pack from the original install i.e ace mega codecs pro thats works perfectly on every other pc ive got
    hope you can help on this matter
    thx andy

main media player is windows media player 11
    secondary is winamp/divx player and power dvd
    antivirus is avast and standard windows firewall
    nothing else running at the time

pc is 1700 celeron
    1gig ram
    128 meg nvidea 6800
    soundmax onboard audio
    drive 0 256 gigs(220 free)
    drive 1 40 gig(music storage)
  5. tweakboy

tweakboy TechSpot Maniac Posts: 518

Install K Lite codec pack,, should do it for you,
  6. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

did you remember to reinstall all of your drivers when you reinstalled windows?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.