Windows Messenger Alerts

By EKUcolonel
Aug 30, 2003
  1. I keep getting this popup from Windows Messenger saying that there is a loophole for spammers to send people popups who use XP. It says to stop this, I have to go to . So far, these guys are the only popups I'm getting from Windows Messenger! I went to Services in the Administrative tools, and turned off the service. I was wondering if anyone else was getting these messages? This just seemed to be a quickie solution.
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

Thats funny, I can't believe someone is charging $10 for something like that. Anyway, on with fixing your problem:

Go to Start>Run and type in services.msc Click Ok
    Scroll to Messenger, select it, right click it and choose Properties.
    Under startup choose "Disabled", then choose Stop.
    When stopped, click Ok.
  3. Abraxas

Abraxas TS Rookie Posts: 157

Yes, I got those messages and some more real spams and turned the messenger service off like Storm just said.
  4. Shinga

Shinga TS Rookie

There is a least one other "company" that's trying to do the same thing, MessageDefender. Sent them an e-mail with this thread and a request that they desist in perpetuating the problem.
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

It's ironic that THE ONLY MESSAGES I get through the messenger service are ads for preventing them. ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.