Windows no longer boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a nutshell:

I have a Toshiba A-65 I bought off the shelf from Best Buy (therefore don't have any software disks) and got the three year warrenty. One night I went to turn it on and it acted like it was about to load up and then it flashed a quick blue screen for like a 1/2 a sec and then went into the black screen that has all the options to restart in SafeMode, earliest working mode, etc. NONE of these modes work.... It just keeps starting to load and then flashes the blue screen and then goes back to the options.

I took it to Best Buy - they had it for 3 WEEKS and I got it back and nothing had changed. They just said that they ran a diagnostic and the hardware and motherboard are fine and that I should call Toshiba, get a disk ($40), and reload the software.

Probem is, I need the files that are on my computer and so I need to find a way to back up my files when I can't even boot my computer (Best Buy said they would do it for $150 so I know it's possible and I'd rather find a way to do it myself and learn then pay those jerks even more $) - and I am afraid that if I reload the software it will wipe away everything and I will lose my files.

I also read people with this problem used the Windows XP repair disk so I am confused whether I get a Toshiba repair disk or a Windows XP disk????

I am semi computer literate but totally green when it comes to repairing things like this so I am just confused with the lingo etc.

I just need to know how to backup my comp when I can't get the software to boot (but know the hardware is apparently ok) and what disk to get to repair the software (Toshiba or Windows XP??)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for any help. I am seriously losing my mind and so pissed that Best Buy had my comp for 3 weeks and I get it back the same way I dropped it off.

Why not just take your HDD out and place it in another computer, and get your files there? If I'm understanding correctly, you just need the files from your disk, so you can sort this mess out. Also, it sounds like it's Toshiba's fault, not Windows XP. I'd recommend getting the disk from Toshiba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back