TechSpot

Windows, not getting past loading screen

By HughJass
Jul 9, 2005
  1. hey all,

heres the problem:
    when windows loads it gets to the windows startup screen (with the little bar that goes accross the screen), it jsut sits there for ever and the little bar keeps going accross over and over again,

what i have tried:
    wen i press restart it gives me the followin options,
    safe mode
    safe mode with command prompt
    safe mode with networking
    last settings that worked best
    normal startup

if i press normal startup it does the same thing
    if i press last settings it does the same thing
    if i press safe mode (all of them) it loads up windows in safe mode, so i did that i ran AVG, Spybot, Adaware, nothing major came out, then if i restart it, it has the same problem with nothing changed

however, in safe mode, when it logs in it asks if i want to run system restore, when ever i choose yes, it works, however once the system has been properly restored then it stuffs up again as soon as i restart it.

specs:
    windows XP home
    celeron 2.6 @ 3.0
    XV GF 6200 agp 256mb
    768mb ram
    80gb
    40gb

PLS HELP, i dont want to have to reformat

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Maybe doing a repair install of Windows would help.

Instructions for the above can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :)

3. cwilks2k06

cwilks2k06 TS Rookie

Not to highjack your thread, But im having this same problem on my toshiba except i cant even get into safe mode

4. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

Hugh Jass - LOL, I guess you are a Simpsons fan...

If U can go to safe mode, open "My Computer", right click on the "C:" drive, Properties, Tools, Error Checking {tick the 2 boxes}, then reboot, it will sort out any errors.

That generally helps if you've had a bad shutdown or whatever, but I'd recommend running the approriate HDD Diagnostic http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Merry Xmas

Steve

5. mscott00

mscott00 TS Rookie Posts: 60

Did windows hang up or freeze during the install? I found out that there was a PCI device or something connected to another computer of mine that during the "Installing Devices" portion of setup it would freeze. Removing all other devices from the computer resolved my issue..

6. HughJass

HughJass TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 120

Wow, what an old topic! just to close this case, my fix was reformatting lol

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.