Windows not picking up my hard drive (not even in disk management)

Hi. I have a 1TB Western Digital hard drive. A few days ago a friend of mine plugged in his laptop and it was working but suddenly it froze and now my desktop or laptop will pick up my hard drive. Its worked completely fine in the past. i tried checking disk management but it isn't there either. The light on my hard drive comes on when its plugged in but the computer doesn't show it. Help Please?!

Do you hear the drive spinning? Any noticeable ticking sounds?

I'm assuming based on your post that this is an external drive, if you take the drive to just about any service shop, they should be able to pop it out of the enclosure and into a sled to check the possibility that the enclosure itself is having problems. If that's not the case, I'd probably label it a bad drive. Happens a lot, head to western digital's website with the number of the drive to check your warranty status.

We need to know age and model... They do wear out quickly... and external ones seem to fail more quickly than the internal ones... The external ones certainly have a much higher record of failure... whether due to lower quality or brand or model or cooling.

[FONT=Calibri]I have a similar problem. My Western Digital 2tb external hard drive has been working fine, it’s only a few months old, I was burning a DVD and my lap top froze.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Now I plug it in and it’s acknowledged by my laptop, it doesn’t show up in computer, but it’s there in Disk Management as Uninitialized and unallocated. Whenever I try to initialise a notification of an I/O device error occurs. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]I’ve got information on this drive, I really don’t want to format it… [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/FONT]

Back