Windows not starting after replacing mobo, reformat no good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

I replaced my motherboard and know i'm supposed to reformat - so i went ahead and started the reformat process, but when i plugged in my windows xp CD, it went into the blue screen to load up formating process (press f6 to install third party what whats... etc..) and when it gets to 'windows is now starting' it just freezes and gives me the

"STOP: 0x0000007b (parameter, parameter, parameter)" message.

this is odd, no? i get this error when trying to load from my harddrive (this is normal) but when i try loading from the CD, i get the same error? i tried reformatting my hard drive on another comp - and pulled it out at various stages - but at no stage would MY computer read it. always the same stop message.

i used 3 different XP cds - so its not that either.

any help is greatly appreciated.. i've stumped 3 people so far (including myself.. i've never stumped myself!) and am waiting on a 4th consultant .. thatll take a while though..

So your hard drive works on other computers? I remember I had a problem like this and it was cause my hard drive was going bad. But hopefully this is not the case.

right, my HDD is fine. the problem is compatibility with bits of hardware, but for the life of me i can't figure out -what- ... having consultant numero 4 come by to check it out later today...

The most common cause of this is RAM failure.
If you have more than 1 stick, try each one in turn to see.
Hope you are not paying these consultants if they fail to fix!

Actually, there is another dude on these forums with the same problem right now.

Apparently something is left behind even after a format on the HD that causes problems. What I'd do is download gParted and delete that partition. Then try.

Actually try this first. Boot up without the cd, just like you were trying to boot the OS, ah nevermind you already formatted on another computer. I was going to say boot into the recovery console and do the fix mbr command.

I have long since lost count of how many drives I have formatted prior to refitting into a system and installing XP, but I have never ever had a problem like this that was cured by zeroing or low level formatting the drive. A simple partition removal and follow the wizard sorts it out and always has done. Any problems have been traced, in order of incidence, to RAM, bad board, bad graphics, bad CD/DVD drive, bad CD media, bad temper.

k. Just seems odd someone else has the same problem. I've never had this problem before, but seeing it twice in the last week is a bit odd. Not sure if you noticed AlbertLionheart, but I got an edit in to my reply with a link to the other dude.

ugly thing is i got this mobo/ram/processor mix -assembled tested and bundled - from mwave.com ... i've _NEVER_ had problems with them before ... hopefully the dude i have comin over later will help (friend of the old man's, so no payment besides maybe a meal :p)

i've deleted the partition using another computer.. partition removal.. using gParted? will this make a difference? (assuming my dad's mate can't help..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back